Pickup upgrade for Squier bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Farside, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Farside

Dec 10, 2003
    My dad is going to the US in a few weeks so I thought I would take advantage of the exchange rate and ask him to get me some new pickups; I want to improve the dull tone I'm getting out of my Squier jazz bass. I play rock and punk mostly and also like to indulge in a bit of slapping now and then. I really like the tone my friend gets out of his Warwick bass (I think it is a Rockbass model?) with MEC pickups and although I know my Squier will never sound as good as a Warwick I would like to improve my tone in that direction. I was considering the active EMG's because of their good reviews on Harmony Central and the ease of installation they offer but whilst reading this board I noticed alot of negative comments about the harshness of the tone they produce. Are there any pickups you could reccomend me or am I wasting my time trying to improve my Squier?
  2. Personally, I find the EMG's a little sterile and harsh. They don't sound very natural. Pretty punchy though. Bartolinis tend to be cleaner, but still punchy. If you like a lot of punch, Seymour Duncan Basslines would be a good idea. Very chunky sound, good for the style of music you play.
  3. I got a pair of Fender Custom Shop 60s in mine, killer pickups. Might want to look into those!