Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup upgrade for Squier bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Farside, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Farside

Farside

Dec 10, 2003
    My dad is going to the US in a few weeks so I thought I would take advantage of the exchange rate and ask him to get me some new pickups; I want to improve the dull tone I'm getting out of my Squier jazz bass. I play rock and punk mostly and also like to indulge in a bit of slapping now and then. I really like the tone my friend gets out of his Warwick bass (I think it is a Rockbass model?) with MEC pickups and although I know my Squier will never sound as good as a Warwick I would like to improve my tone in that direction. I was considering the active EMG's because of their good reviews on Harmony Central and the ease of installation they offer but whilst reading this board I noticed alot of negative comments about the harshness of the tone they produce. Are there any pickups you could reccomend me or am I wasting my time trying to improve my Squier?

2. Personally, I find the EMG's a little sterile and harsh. They don't sound very natural. Pretty punchy though. Bartolinis tend to be cleaner, but still punchy. If you like a lot of punch, Seymour Duncan Basslines would be a good idea. Very chunky sound, good for the style of music you play.

3. I got a pair of Fender Custom Shop 60s in mine, killer pickups. Might want to look into those!