1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup upgrade help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 5stringfindlay, Mar 6, 2013.

1. 5stringfindlay

5stringfindlay

Jan 7, 2013
    So I'm planning to upgrade the pickups in my Peavey Milennium 5 (passive) to the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds. (my peavey has 2 J-bass style pickups.) As well, I plan to change the wiring from the current config of vol-vol-tone to vol-tone and a 3-way switch.

2 questions:

1. I'm pretty sure the QPs will fit my bass (did some measuring of my current pups to the dimensions of the QPs), but has anyone had any trouble with them in terms of fit?

2. Would I also have to change the pots, or could I get away with using the existing ones and re-wiring them to the new pickups?

2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    2. ...
    You can use the tone pot (as usual) and the volume as well.
    They are 250k pots now? You might change them to 500k with QPs but you mustn't!

With VVT, HOT from the PU goes to the middle lug of the volume pot and the "left lug" goes to HOT at the jack (or tone). With a 3-way switch, change these to wires ao that HOT from the 3-way goes to the left lug of the volume pot and the middle lug to HOT of the jack (tone pot). This will bring a little bit mor hight and you have a real short-cut when the volume is down (which is best for instrument wiring).

First use the pots installed! You needn't change them!

3. fede_carbonero

fede_carbonero

Mar 14, 2013
    Try the Hot Stacks, a bit more expensive but worth the money! Also they're hum canncelling