1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup upgrade on Player Series P Bass, or is it a downgrade? Either way it's awesome!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gt96g, Nov 4, 2018.

1. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I picked up a Player Series P bass a few weeks ago. I love the way it plays and it is super lightweight which I also dig. Only thing was the tone was a little too vintage voiced for my taste. So I was looking for a new pickup and I remembered the MIM standard pickups to be hotter with more bottom and a tighter dynamic range. I figured low risk, high reward experiment.

I recalled they always sounded good on the Standard p basses. Just finished dropping one into my Player P and OMG does it sound so much better than the alnico pickup that was in there, to me anyway. full, punchy, and aggressive.

Now it you love a vintage p bass sound this move is probably not for you but if your looking to get a more modern tone for not a lot of money, out of the really well made player p bass, give it a try.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  2. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Agreed. I have an American Standard that had to have a swap. Recently got a MIM 1996 and it sounds great as is.

3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I suggest you a try with Squier CV70P , maybe the stock Alnico V pickup could give you a surprise.

4. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    All I know is it's nice to get positive results from a low cost pickup swap.