1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup Upgrades

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by bradjonesbass, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Anybody swap the MFD's out for something else? I'm thinking of putting in an Aguilar 3-band pre and Basslines Music Man buckers into my L-2500. Anybody tried this? Results?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  3. not cool dude.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    :(

I thought it was cute :bawl:

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    BTW, G&L did make a bass called an L5500 that came with EMG's instead of the MFDs. but I think it's a pretty rare duck.

6. Most G&L-ers see it the same way that lug stated with the wav file. I am not sure many people have replaced the MFD's....

7. I had one of them L-5500's...

[​IMG]

Might have kept it, but 5's are really not my thing (even though I still have a L2500....).

8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Now, I may be thought of as a blasphemur...in a way. Now I DID NOT replace my stock pickups. I did however replace the preamp in my L2500. Like I said before, I have one of the first L2500's that rolled out of the plant. It's preamp, to my tastes was VERY lacking in the bottom end. It sounded very thin and w/o substance. I'm not sure if mine had something funky with it, or if their first version of the L2500 preamp was kind of funky.

I went to Rudy's Music on W48th in Manhattan, looking for a pickup swap. They said that replacing the preamp would do it better than pickups, so I went with it.

They installed their own Pensa (Rudy Pensa) designed preamp. And let me tell you, friggin night/day difference in tone. It still has those G&L tone qualities, but it is just a much hotter pre. I keep the bass boost knob no more than 75%, treble at 50%. It just rocks.

so, rather than a pickup swap, maybe a preamp upgrade is what you're looking for.

9. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Seeing as the MFD was Leo's next generation of pickup after the Music Man, and the Basslines is supposed to be a recreation of the Music Man, you are downgrading the bass in the eyes of the majority of G&L fans.

Your bass, your money but if you are gonna sell it later keep the parts to revert it back to original.

FWIW as an avid G&L fan with 11 of them trust me on this.
    I'll tell you now all the G&L freaks are gonna point, laugh, and not buy your modded bass. :scowl: :scowl: :rollno: :spit:

Jim

10. The basslines MM pickups are supposed to be an upgrade over the stock MM pickup. I love my G&L, but there are times I'd like to get more of a "modern" tone out of it. That's why I am considering the Aguilar pre-amp. More flexibility.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'd say go for it. See if you can get the components you want used on eBay or in the TB classifieds.

That way, worst case scenario, you don't like the setup and you can sell what you bought for about what you paid for it. Electronics are pretty easy to swap in and out.

Best case scenario, you have a bass that YOU think sounds better, regardless of what other uppity G&L owners might think. :cool:

12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Hey! We are not uppity! :mad: We are just better than everybody else. :cool:

13. LOL! :bag:

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I would say the signiture G&L sound comes from the stock MFD Humbuckers.

15. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Exactly!

Actually I think the addition of a fancier preamp may get what you want. Realize the MFD's sound as they do with no active EQ (except in active w/ treble boost). Now feed those high fidelity MFD's through a fancy pants active EQ....Who knows where you will end up.

Jim (uppity G&L owner):spit: