Pickup used by Bakithi Kumalo in Paul Simon's "Graceland"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gapupten, Jun 15, 2005.

1. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Does anyone know the pickup used on the fretless bass of the great South African player Bakithi Kumalo in Paul Simon's "Graceland".
    I am looking for that sound. Maybe it's just in his ability or the bass but I think some large part of the type of sound is in the pickup.. Does anyone know?

Please don't tell me the sound comes from 20 years experience and huge talent alone :crying:
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    IIRC he played a Washburn with stock pickups...
  3. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Thanks for the info on the Washburn, but it doesn't tell me enough. I have played with Jazz, P bass, small bart soapbars.

I have not heard, at least in my hands, that big fat heavy mids sound from any bass I have played.

I have not played big soapbars or musicman type of pickups.

Please think back to that "Graceland" sound.... Does it only come with a bigger pickup size?

Thanks for your help..
  4. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
  5. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi there,
    for what I can remember from a couple of pics, he used a Wash. with white Dimarzio P+J mod.....but I can always be wrong!