1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickup variety

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jordan_frerichs, Mar 15, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    hey what are some different pups and sound they put out? what are some of the less seen pups (think that are not mm, j, or p)

2. jazzboi

jazzboi

Jan 10, 2008
    Hungary
    Hi,

I think the P style pup's make some sort of a "sound-from-nose" like tone. :) It's really great sounding,versatile,but a little bit limited. I mean limited if you like the cleaner "jazzbasslike" tone. :)

The J setup makes a more clean and better defined tone,and has a mean growl into it,and plenty of punch if it's well chosen. :) More versatile setup like the P IMO.

The MM Setup is mainly active preamped thing (the other two mentioned above can be active naturally,but traditionally they are passive without a pre.) This setup produces a mean growl,and crisp highs too,but it's growl is less "natural" as the J (IMO) it's like a new Ford Mustang, it can be a great car,but if you like the old one(i mean the '68 Fastback :D and now the p/J sound),you never will love it. :)

In the market as far as I know there are dual-,triple-,and quadcoil pup's,but I haven't got any experience with them so I close my mouth and wait 'til somebody cleverer sais a thing. :p

I hope I could sum it up a little,but obviously I can make some sort of mistakes,but other Tb-ers will correct me! Hopefully! :D

3. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    what about the nordstrand big singles, and fat stacks???

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Check out this thread which is located in the Pickups FAQ at the top of this forum:

Summary of different styles of pickups
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213663