1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickup veneers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by synesthesia, Aug 14, 2012.

1. synesthesia

synesthesia

Mar 14, 2011
    So I am in the middle of modifying a bass for a friend of mine. I removed the finish, reshaped it and vacuum bagged a figured veneer over the face to give it a little zazz. In the process I kept the cutouts for the pickups and dyed them along with the body. I know some builders build pickup caps and Ive had some experience with that but Ive also seen some adhere a veneer to the face of the pickup. The pickups for this bass are stock, 5 string, de armond pickups with no exposed pole pieces. So here are my questions:
    Could I sand the face a little and epoxy the veneer sets onto the pickups or is the normal process more involved?

I know that wood generally wont mess with the magnetic field but I just wanted to make sure, would epoxy + veneer somehow change the characteristics of the pickup/sound?

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    yes you can, sand with 320 until flat, using a hard block to get a true surface. Then affix the veneer. The epoxy/veneer combination is magnetically transparent, so you will be fine.

3. lidesnowi

lidesnowi

Jan 29, 2011
    Sure it works fine, I have done this to all my pickups "vintage style Jazz Bass pickups" but I made ​​mine with a 10 inches radius like pickup ramps for greater feel and control!

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    352r4j.

As JC said, use a hard sanding block, don't take too much material off, and epoxy it on there. I have seen epoxy seep all the way through a maple veneer, so be careful you don't lay it on too thick.

5. lidesnowi

lidesnowi

Jan 29, 2011
    Super glue works well too if you are in a hurry!