1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Volume? Squier P-Bass vs Ibanez Ergodyne

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sp3ktral, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Sp3ktral

Sp3ktral

Sep 3, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    ok so i just recently aquired a Squier Affinity P Bass. my buddy had it laying around and said I could have it!
    after removing all the paint, reassembling and setting up the bass I finally got to play it for the first time yesterday! (I got the bass in pieces from the dude)

well after playing around a bit and switching back and forth between the p-bass and the ergo it became very apparent the volume on the p-bass was significantly louder than the ergodyne.

just a quick run down of electronics:
    p-bass = standard p pickup...presumably squier "brand" factory pickups
    ergodyne = 2 ibanez humbuckers for 5 strings. 3 band active eq system and blend knob

It just doesn't make any sense to me why the p bass would be louder....anyone care to explain?! or have theories on how i can get the ibanez louder? (no mods..)

2. Sp3ktral

Sp3ktral

Sep 3, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    nothing?

sorry if it's a stupid question...

3. PauliePower

PauliePower

Dec 9, 2008
    Reading, UK
    The simple answer is: it just is. I know exactly what you mean though, I've got a very cheap Yamaha that is far louder than everything else I own. There probably is some sort of scientific reason, but I asked on here as well and the general consensus was to just accept it.

If you want to make the P-bass a bit quieter, try screwing the pickup down into the body a bit. I noticed my BC Rich (with P-style pickup) got significantly louder after lowering the action recently, due to the strings being closer to the pickup. I suppose you could try raising the pickups on your Ibanez and seeing if that makes a difference.

4. Sp3ktral

Sp3ktral

Sep 3, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    well, i guess i'll experiment with pickup height then.

thanks for the info!

5. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    pup height could help with balancing the volume also are you using new strings on the squier? because new strings are more trebly and louder