Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PICKUP WAR

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alex, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Bartolinis or EMGs or a combination (or anything else?) on my first bass?

2. Yeah...you could use Seymour Duncan...

or Lane Poor...
    or Nordstrand...
    or Bill Lawrence...
    or Aero...
    or DiMarzio...
    or Ken Armstrong...
    or Sadowsky...

it depends on what you're looking for and even then you'll still have at LEAST 2 or 3 choices, usually.

3. ...or Dingwall
    ...or Bassculture
    ...or Benavente
    ...or Delano
    ...or Aaron Armstrong
    ...or Lindy Fralin
    ...or Q-tuner
    ...or Rio Grande

Without any more information it is impossible to help you. Knowing the number of strings, what sort of pickup you want (P, J, MM, dual-coil, single-coil, etc.), what basses you like the tone of, what music you're playing with it... all these things would immediately limit. We can offer advice based on what we like, but the minute you were to say someting like: it's for a 7 string... then it will eliminate at least half of the ones listed so far (and probably more because I wouldn't pay what some companies want for a 7+ string pickup). I was quoted $800 and $1100 for a set of 8 string pickups by guys mentioned by PilbaraBass and $350 by Carey Nordstrand. In the end the pickups from Nordstrand are at least as good, if not better than what I've seen and heard from the other two and at much less than half the cost, with custom string spacing and in less than a third the time the others quoted me.

Anyway, please give us more information. Help us help you.

4. listen to me dude, do yourself a favor and use any of to bartolini Classic Bass series. Those things are just amazing! if you can get your hands on the 9JCB series, then you're set!

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    ...or Status
    ...or Ken Smith...

6. lol guyz. I'm making a 4 string. I need a versatile sound because I play everything from jazz to funk to metal. As far as sound I have an OLP (w/ an mm Pup) and I like the thick fingerstyle sound (could be thicker) and I really like the single coil slap sound when I cut the bridge side about halfway. what pickups would you recommend now?

7. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
  8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've got an 8CB p, & a 9J1, on my PJ bass.... the CB is hotter than the traditional... its got a great full range sound. Has me wanting to swap out the 9J1 for a 9JCB...

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I've got a pair of LeFay Rough Crystal soaps in my soon-to-be-finished project. Bench test hopefully next week.
    I'm curious as well how it will sound with my new bass...

(They sell them on eBAy.de, too, fro less)

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    How's about Dual Coils? It's the same as what is in a MM p-up. Two DCs with series/parallel/singel coil should make it quite versatile.
    There are lots of DCs available, as well, and in many shapes (various MM-shapes from almost all p-up manufacturers, various Bartolini shapes, EMG-35DC, Aero, etc)

11. i don't know if I necessarily want to go for an mm pup, I was kinda leaning toward a 2 humbucker config. btw, what's the difference betweem humbuckers and soapbars?

12. would an mm bridge pup w/ a humbucker neck pup work? talk about best of both worlds...

13. that leads me to another question (sry about the triple post) can you use pups from different companies on the same bass or would they be incompatible?

14. ??

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You should read at least the basic things in Pickups. :rolleyes:

MM = humbucking, dual-coil p-up (except for some that have 3 coils, a third one being a dummy coil for hum-cancelling).

Soapbar = shape. Just like the J or P or MM family of shapes.
    The insides of a soapbar can vary: single coil (like J), split coil (like P) or doulbe coil (like MM)

Using different active and passive p-ups (like Barts and EMGs) is asking for trouble. Either very complicated to do, or it would not work.
    Using different kind of passive p-ups is tricky, too, you have to watch some parameters (output, inductance, resistance), but is more likely to work.

16. what if both pups were active, but different companies? (like barts + EMGs)

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Barts are passive.

(Except for three or four very rare p-ups, but still, over 95% or Barts are passive)

18. o, ok. But like any two active pups from dif companies

19. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I've got a set of 9cbjd1's in my jazz and they are very good. For my new project bass I considered the Nordie SE, Fralin stacks and Dimarzio UJ, but just bought another pair of the Barts. I haven't tried the others, but from all the on-line reviews I wasn't convinced I could do much better than Barts. The Nordies and Fralins are more than twice the price btw.
    These Barts have good output, a great low end through midrange, and a soft top, but are a bit compressed sounding.
    Vintage or modern sound? Barts are midway.

20. I was thinkin of an emg 35tw and like a seymour duncan active mm replacement. doable?