Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup winder

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jaguarcat311, Apr 27, 2005.

1. has anyone made a pickup winder? i am planning on building one and i was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Wow! Really? Are you planning to go into business selling pickups or are you only doing this as a hobby?

3. im not really sure, i guess it depends how it turns out. I would like to make specialized pickups. i think i've got some good ideas for unique humbuckers and soapbars.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If you do a search for "experiment" under my name in the pickups forum there's a Dimento pup dip thread that has some links. One of those links had a guy that actually made one from an old carpenter's hand drill - apparently it worked pretty decent.

I've ran across some of the more traditional homemade winders but those don't stand out in memory like the drill did. Searching for pup dip info, I actually found more on windng pickups (usually they end up dipping them at the end) than I did when I was looking for info on winding pups.

Of course, stewmac and others sell them for a few Bens.

5. Hey, i have found a few sites with tips and such. i found that drill press winder a while ago. i actually have an old drill press layin around that i might mess around on. I bought the complete guide to making your own pickup winder book by Jason Lollar of Lollar guitars. i am planning on making his machine, it winds with the scatterwound (handwound) pattern. I know that a well known pickup maker uses a machine like this, i cant remember if its fralins or nordstrands or..... but anyway, the pickups should be at least comparable to those. I'm looking into purchasing a spool of magnet wire first so i can hand wind some old jazz pickups during the process of building the winder.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Best of luck to you. I personally think that it would be nice to have even more choices of pickups.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    How did you get hold of the Lollar book? It's my understanding it's no longer available.

Good luck with actually handwinding.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    While I believe you can buy a winder pretty cheaply from the usual parts people, I've heard that a lot of hobbyists and ol' timers used an old turntable as a basis for home made winders.

9. i just went to the lollar website and purchased it with my bank card. this pickup winder is based on a sewing machine with foot control, and an oscillating fan

10. i bought the book a couple months ago though