Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup wired to jack??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by teacherguy, Aug 2, 2004.

1. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm about to undertake building my first bass. I RARELY use the controls on any of my basses so I am entertaining the idea of making my bass with NO controls at all!! I've seen it done on a couple of basses on other web sites (Bee Basses for example) so I know it can be done.

My question is does anyone out there have suggestions as to HOW to do it?

I am going with the Bart. MM4CBC MusicMan p.u. but I don't have it yet so I am not sure of the wiring config.

Should I ask this later when I have the p.u. in hand?

Thanks,
    Jon

2. First, you'll wish you had a pre, not that I like pres mind you, but aren't them lower output? Just a guess.

Not hard to wire, just depends on the # of lead wires.

3. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    You touch on another issue I had. I don't know if those other basses I looked at were active or not. I'm not sure if I need one.
    Here's my situation: I don't play out at all, I just enjoy noodling around in my basement. I sometimes get to play with a few friends of mine but that's getting to be more rare due to family demands. My point is, since I don't play out, output is not a huge issue (according to my wife, the less output the better (ahem, by that I mean volume-wise on my amp)). :oops:

Knowing that, whaddayathink about the pre issue? Suggest one in this case or not?

Thanks,
    Jon

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pickups when wired direct tend to be even louder than when they're attached to a preamp.

My advice: put in a passive volume and/or tone knob, and then a small toggle. Use the toggle to switch between having the pickup signal go straight to the jack (the toggle won't affect the tone), or through the tone and volume control.

That way, you can have the direct tone/sound for whatever, and then a bit of tone control for giggles.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Bartolini pickups come with wiring diagrams. It will be easy to wire direct to the jack. Easier than any passive or active configuration. I recommend "series" wiring.

6. Ture, but I'm just saying I thought Barts were considerably lower output than a standard passive coilset.

Anyway, I would look into something in-line, like a toggle, as was said previous...and yes, wired series, to get full grunt from the pup.

7. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks SO much for your time and the comments guys!!!

I'll consider all of your input and I'm sure I'll have more specific questions once the time comes! :hyper:

Jon

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've been running pups straight to jacks for about 4 months now. Maybe longer. I started with a wall of basses with onboard preamps. Then pulled them and wired them as outboards pulling all onboard controls in the process and running off amp controls. You can do a search for "Experiment" in the pup forum and you'll find half a dozen Dr. Dimento Experiments with various pup configurations (including MM's), and one on preamps.

In a nut shell, output won't be a problem if you have an amp that has a volume control. If you wire an onboard preamp as an outboard so you can run pups preamped or passive, you will discover two things 95% of the time. 1) preamps suck the life out of passive pups 2) the more electronic components you run passive pups through the more the signal is degraded and the less the output for equal settings. Rarely do active pups have any rawness to them so preamps rarely adversely effect active pups - about as often as they'll improve on a set of passive pups. Also, you can run active pups direct (like EMGs) by simply adding a battery. I have a set of EMG J's and PJ's I run.

If you want to hear what a set of pups really sound like, running direct is the best way I know. Few players know cause they've never done it or had a set up where they could compare the difference in the same bass within seconds or minutes.

The previous post regarding throwing a couple pots in with a switch to run through the pots or direct I found interesting and never crossed my mind. One thing I have yet to do is to rig such a setup to test the difference in passive with pots as opposed to direct out. With a switch, you're only going through one component besides your jack to go direct so I'd guess there should be minimal degradation there and so a fair enough comparison.

In addition, the only inclination I've had to add a componenet was in the case of MM's where a DPDT switch is needed to run the standard series, parallel, south pole - which I'd highly recommend. The Bart MMC is a 5 wire pup so can be wired as such - as opposed to a Carvin MM which is only two wire ran series HB.

And I can't believe Hambone hasn't moved this to the pup forum.

9. Hey, the Teacher wants to build a bass and this is part of the process of planning. If he had started this thread in Setup, it would have been put in Pickups quickly. But since he started it here, it's appropriate to discuss it here.

I think...I'm pretty sure :)

10. Dood, yer so ragga. v:O)~

(I wanna wire my pup direct too)

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Oh yeh. In the process of regurgitating all that verbage, I forgot he was even building a bass :)

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Get out of my head.

13. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yes indeed!!!
    I'm going to cut out the body template tomorrow with the new band saw I just bought! :hyper:

I'll try to post progress pics as I get further along...

Jon

14. Funny thing, that is my favorite J tone. Both pups full up with the tone off. Love that mid throb.