1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickup wiring help and lost thread

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by clayton51, Mar 6, 2013.

1. clayton51

clayton51

Dec 31, 2007
    Hey, I bought some emg pickups a while ago and they came with a homemade fretless bass. I am trying to wire it with a single j, tone and volume, so I can start working on intonation ect. I have it running, but there is some serious grounding issues going on. The original wiring diagram was for a pj and I just diden't do the p stuff. Does any body have a diagram for a single j, and what if any shielding should I do? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Also, there was a thread on here by someone who had individual instrument tracks for a bunch of songs that you could email him for. I can't seem to find it now though. Does anyone know what thread that is?

2. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
  3. Melonthief

Melonthief

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm hot rodding a Yamaha BB-300 with a badass 2 and an SPB-3 pickup. Will I need to switch out the volume and tone pots or can I just wire it in to the existing ones?

4. Scott in Dallas

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    It should wire right in.

5. Melonthief

Melonthief

Jan 25, 2013
    I was just wondering if the hotter pup would sound it's best with heavier duty pots

6. clayton51

clayton51

Dec 31, 2007
    Thank you Scott, that is it.

7. Scott in Dallas

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    I don't know what heavy-duty pots are, but they shouldn't change the sound. The best way to find out is to try out the pickup.

8. Melonthief

Melonthief

Jan 25, 2013
    Haha neither do I! I finished the mods today and the bass sings now.