1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickup wiring problem (3 wires) HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tripwirecartel, May 5, 2006.

1. tripwirecartel

tripwirecartel

May 5, 2006
    hi! i got a set of pickups off ebay. they're off a washburn bass. my problem is that they have 3 wires. there's a black wire and a white wire together, and another separate red wire. i read somewhere that i should connect the pickups using the red wires. i dont know! if anyone can help me that would be great! thanks
    kyle

2. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i believe that those are active pickups. you need to hook the + terminal of a 9v battery up to the red wire. the - terminal of the battery goes to the ground of the electronics

3. tripwirecartel

tripwirecartel

May 5, 2006
  4. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    well, i don't know what to say. a 3rd red wire on a pickup usually means it's active... i mean, thats the only thing a 3rd wire could be used for that i can think of...

5. just checked washburn site and it looks like you have a set of active bartolini customs (i imagine commisioned by washburn) here is a link

http://www.washburn.com/products/basses/xb.aspx

sorry thats for the usa model, i did a google for the model and all of them had P/J Pups in not bucker/soapbar types. they look like ok Pups tho but are likely to be active.

the only advice i can think of is to contact your local washburn dealer and ask for the info on any basses with those Pups in and if the are active get a circuit (not cheap but) to pop inside the bass.

hope you can get it sorted soon.