Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup wiring... Where did I go wrong?!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brock29609, May 31, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I'm wiring my jazz bass with the new Fender "no-load" pots. When used as a tone pot, you wire it just like normal. When using it as a volume pot, it requres slightly different wiring (see below). I've attached a diagram of how my bass is wired. Would someone be good enough to look at it and tell me where I've gone wong? Both volume pots are acting like a master volume. They aren't working independently. When one is turned off, both pickups go off. HELP! I think I've follow the instructions below correctly, but maybe this pot is only intended to be a MASTER volume.

No-load volume wiring instructions:
    [​IMG]

My screwed up wiring below.:confused:
    Do I not have it wired per the above instructions???
    [​IMG]

2. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Really?! Crap! I didn't see it. Sorry.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You have wired your pups in parallel. In other words, the outputs (white wires)are connected together and the grounds (black wires) are connected together. Whatever one pup does, the other has to do.

The grounds from the pups have to be isolated from each other.

Remove all connections, including ground connections to the shells of both pots. The tone control is OK.

Connect the black wire from the neck pup to the shell of one pot. connect the black wire from the bridge pup to the shell of the other pot. connect term #1 of each pot to the shell. Connect the white wire from each pup to the center (terminal 2) of its respective pot. Connect a jumper wire from term #3 of pot #1 to term #3 of pot #2. Connect the #3 terminals to the output jack. Connect the bridge ground wire to the shell of the tone pot.

This is how standard pots are wired. I'm not certain that the N/L pots will work properly in this application.

Pkr2

4. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Didn't work. You can't use more than one volume with these pots.