1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickup Wizard P pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madmarvin, Dec 11, 2018.

1. madmarvin

madmarvin Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Ontario, NY
    So I had a couple beers and some bourbon last night, saw this on eBay and bought it. Is anyone using these and what can you tell me about them?

Screenshot_2018-12-11-12-23-24.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I’m not familiar with Pickup Wizard pickups, but please give us a review after you get it installed. It looks like it could be a cool, hot (11.8k) P-Bass pickup. :cool:

madmarvin likes this.
  3. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Out of curiosity, I just had a look at the Pickup Wizard website. It shows that they offer a 10.8k P-Bass pickup. I wonder if the pickup above is an older pickup not offered anymore, a custom wind, or it’s just a typo in the auction?

ThePickupWizard Website

4. madmarvin

Mar 7, 2005
    Ontario, NY
    I saw the same thing, weird. The seller also says it is single cool which it clearly isn't lol. I didn't check the jazz pups but maybe they cut and pasted the wrong info?

5. madmarvin

Mar 7, 2005
    Ontario, NY
    Confirmed with Peter these are his. Put them in, tested on a small practice combo. Even with that I can tell these are the real deal. Tone is simply phenomenal. Best Ive ever heard through the kittke combo. Playing through my SVT on Friday and will update.

Overall very happy with the purchase.

6. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Glad you like ‘em. :thumbsup:

Did you happen to check the DCR?

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Cloth insulated wire.... this isn't the 1950s. It's time to move on

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    11.8 k and 10.8 k are close enough that the difference can be variation in wire size - magnet wire tolerance is typically 10% in diameter, which is about 21% in cross sectional area or resistance. My guess is they’re the same model.

9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I find cloth insulated wire easier to work with for not only pickups, but the entire wiring harness as well. Nothing wrong with it at all.

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    It's thicker, so it takes up more room in the cavity, which is a big deal when working on something like an active jazz with the battery in the cavity, and is more difficult to fish through wire channels. It is stiff, so its more difficult to make a clean installation. The only minor advantage is the ability to pull the insulation back to make your solder connection, which means you have to hold the insulation back while making your connection. With nylon insulated wire it literally takes 2 seconds to strip with a good pair of strippers.

The only reason cloth insulated wire is still in use is because Leo used it and there is some ridiculous nostalgia attached to it. It is completely obsolete.