Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups – Raise or lower?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WayneP, Aug 31, 2005.

1. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    [font=comic sans ms,verdana,arial] I’ve been setting up the Schecter Studio 5 I picked up a few months ago. I’ve set intonation, action and the truss rod.

My question is, what effect does it have when you raise or lower the pickups? Are there any guidelines for proper set-up?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    [/font]

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The closer to the strings, the more output from the pickups. Too close to the strings, and the magnets in the pickup begin to dampen the vibrations of the strings. You can adjust your height to taste. Most of the setups I've seen (and the way I have it set up) have the bridge pickup seated higher than the neck pickup.

At least, that's what I've noticed.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I always set my basses' pickups like this: Neck pickup at a distance of 5/32 of an inch (4 mm) from the bottom of the string to the top of the pole pieces and the bridge pickup at 1/8 of an inch (3.2 mm), Then I lower the G string and raise the low B just a little bit (1/64 of an inch) after making sure that my bass' relief is OK and all the strings are at the same height measured from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string (3/32 of an inch - 2.4 mm). Those seem to be the average factory measurements for most basses.

4. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    [font=comic sans ms,verdana,arial]Thanks for the info, guys. :)

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    [/font]