1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups 2015 Amer Std. Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pigpen1, Oct 16, 2017.

1. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Ok, so I own 4 string jazz basses. A 2015 American standard jazz and a 2011 American special.

A while back I put Aguilar Hum cancelling pickups in the American special, but recently decided that I want to go back to a regular single coil pickup. I wanted to go with the same pickups that are in my American Standard, so I ordered the customer shop 1960's pickups, because I thought that was what was in those years American standards ( remember the sticker on the pick guard when I bought it).

So when they come, I'm surprised in the visual difference in the two sets of pickups. The ones in the MIA standard are have raised poll pieces that stick up out of the covers a little. The ones I just ordered don't. Not sure if they really sound the same either.

Any ideas? Were their different versions of these pickups? Maybe someone got the best of me on this one?

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I'm pretty sure they're the same.

3. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    My custom shop '60s jazz bass pickups from the late '00s have raised pole pieces. They are the best single coil jazz bass pickups I've ever played.

4. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    Hopefully. Gonna hit up fender customer service today.

5. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    The ones that came with my American standard do to. Both sets sound good. Just not sure why the different look.

6. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    And yes they are great pickups. Don't think I'd ever want anything else.

7. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Mine have raised pole pieces as well. And they are really good pickups.......they seem to have just the right amount of everything.....lows, mids and highs. I haven’t heard any jazz pickups that sound better.