1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pickups and electronics for a prototype

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rickett Customs, May 11, 2010.

1. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    So, I'm in the process of getting a bolt on prototype started, however the only place where I'm at a somewhat standstill is the brand of pickups and onboard electronics....... which ones do I choose? I will most likely sell it as soon as I'm done with it, I'm just making this one for the master templates.

Which pickups should I use? I like EMG's the best, but this won't be for me and not everyone likes emgs. I thought about going with Nordys, but not sure. The onboard electronics would need to be active/passive.

Help me out here, I need a consensus.

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    It may be a "wow" factor for you to sell it. Right now - I would say Nordy has the WF going for them. EMG has been around for a while, and while they are my favorite, they are very polarizing (pardon the pun).

I am using Nordys in my first build currently. I have heard good things...

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah,
    It's that "appeal" factor that I'm looking for, my tastes are always going to be different than someone else.

I've been leaning towards nordy's, especially with the rep they have.

Now that I'm closer on pickups, I'll still need to pick a "middle of the road" pre.........

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Email me if you are set on Nordys.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Done

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Nord pre's rock too. One thing I learned was use very standard pup routing holes. You didn't mention if it was a 4,5 or 6 string? I guess what I am saying is make it as easy for the new owner to swap out the pups if they want to try something different..t

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Sorry Tom,
    It's a 5 this time. Once that one is done, I'll do a 4, using the same body style, different necks, i'll just do 2 different 5 necks and 2 different 4 necks, wide and narrow.

I wish there really was one "universal" sized pickup, I'd be all on it......

8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    No worries just good to clarify. Go with the P-2 pup shape will handle a lot of barts and all Nordstrands. :bassist:

9. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland

I may end up just going with the "J" shaped Nordys.

10. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    What about a pre?

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Jury is still out...... in the air about a 3band, not everyone like a 3band, so it might be 2band which will narrow down the Active/Passive for some manufacturers....

12. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Jazzers may be the way to go, around here it is the most popular, as this site is heavilly "F" oriented. J's also give the buyer a more accessable point to change. As for the pre, Carey's pre's definately make his pickups sound as good as they can, and mind you I am no fan of Nords myself, Aguilar pres seem to muffle Nords a bit, but the Audere's work well too. Good luck with it, and next time go Magnetics or Delano...LOL;-)

13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Musiclogic,
    This is the first I've heard of magnetics..........somewhat interesting.... have you used any?

Never have tried Delanos.............yet ;)

Yeah, Jazz seems to be the way to go for sure.

14. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I used Magnetics for a bass I sent to Germany last year, incredibly powerful and a very modern sound(not TB type of pickup)Delanos are also very pwrful, but they have a variety of tones depending on model. I have a set of SGD sidewinders that are very cool also and have an almost 70's Jazz meets Ric sound(these are going into a zebrawood T-bird). David Schwab, the maker of SGD is a TB member and excellent pickup maker as well as builder. Just some extra info for ya.

15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah, I ordered an active set from Dave not too long ago (NEO and sidewinder), I also have him making a custom passive tone circuit for the pickups too.

16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    I'm eyeing that Sadowsky VTC pre for this......... or the Nordy 2B-4c.........or the ........Bart 3.3 A/P