pickups and modifications...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Aug 12, 2003.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i have an mia jazz (natural/maple) going into a mesa 400+ and svt 8x10. i've been wanting to put new pickups in my bass for awhile. i was having a hard time deciding what, but then i started thinking about having a p pickup installed in the neck position. to start off with...here are some players whose tone i really like (not want to sound EXACTLY like, just an example)

rober deleo
    chi cheng
    jason newsted

i want a really thick, strong tone with good definition. i really like that attack (almost like the guy's tone from all american rejects) that cuts through. if i stay with both jazz pickups, i'm thinking about either fender cs 60's or dimarzio ultra jazz (similar to sadowsky?). i also want to keep it all passive, and keep the standard wiring.

at one point i was going to get a p bass, just because i really love their tone. so i started thinking about switching out the neck pickup for a p pickup. i'm sure there's someone around here that can do it. i could get a pickguard from warmoth. would this thicken up my tone, and still get good punch from the bridge pickup? also...what pj combination would you recommend...i was thinking about basslines 1/4 lber's. please let me know. thanks.

...i forgot to mention that i play really loud chaotic rock. see my signature (vegas standard)