1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickups and modifications...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Aug 12, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i have an mia jazz (natural/maple) going into a mesa 400+ and svt 8x10. i've been wanting to put new pickups in my bass for awhile. i was having a hard time deciding what, but then i started thinking about having a p pickup installed in the neck position. to start off with...here are some players whose tone i really like (not want to sound EXACTLY like, just an example)

rober deleo
    chi cheng
    jason newsted

i want a really thick, strong tone with good definition. i really like that attack (almost like the guy's tone from all american rejects) that cuts through. if i stay with both jazz pickups, i'm thinking about either fender cs 60's or dimarzio ultra jazz (similar to sadowsky?). i also want to keep it all passive, and keep the standard wiring.

at one point i was going to get a p bass, just because i really love their tone. so i started thinking about switching out the neck pickup for a p pickup. i'm sure there's someone around here that can do it. i could get a pickguard from warmoth. would this thicken up my tone, and still get good punch from the bridge pickup? also...what pj combination would you recommend...i was thinking about basslines 1/4 lber's. please let me know. thanks.

...i forgot to mention that i play really loud chaotic rock. see my signature (vegas standard)

2. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    anyone?