1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups and pacemakers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowner, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I still live with my parents and my dad just had a pacemaker put in. I was talking to a friend who said that his brother had to quit playing guitar because he got a pace maker put in. He said that the electromagnetic pick ups give off create an electro magnetic charge which can cause a pacemaker to malfunction resulting a heart attack. And the same for amps.The doctor has already told my dad the one about pacemakers and microwave ovens is wives tale. I dont want to take any chances so until my dad hears from the doctor i am not playing any electric guitars or electric basses. Is this wives tale or true? Anyone know?

2. i don't know the real answer, but i would doubt it...i don't think that guitar or bass pickups creat a big enough charge that could cause damage to a pacemaker

but i could be wrong

3. there is no way a bass pickup or amp could create a large enough electromagnetic disturbance to interfere with the pacemaker. unless your dad managed to crawl into your amp.:D

4. jacko spades

jacko spades

Jan 9, 2006
    Central FL
    one of the best bassist I know has a pacemaker and he plays all the time - he's had it for 5 or 6 years and hasn't keeled over yet, so I'm pretty darn sure it's just an ol' wives tale.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If that were true, people with pacemakers couldn't be around any speakers, because their magnets are a lot stronger than a pickup.

One thing that may have sprouted this rumor is the fact that they do use inductive (electromagnetic) interfaces on some of them to program them without cutting skin.

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    +1

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Surely pacemakers by now would be shielded to prevent outside electromagnetic sources from interfering?

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Actually we use magnets to test pacemakers. Periodically, the patient(s' parents) calls the TransTelephonic Monitoring line at my hospital and says "I have a follow-up TTM on John Smith." or whatever.

I look up Smith in the computer, find their John Smith and say "Ready."

They put the sensor over their kids pacemaker and it sends a signal. I start the TTM program recording. and halfway through the process, they set a big-ass magnet right on top of the pacemaker site. This temporarily drops the pacer back to factory default rate, about 80 beats/ minute until the magnet is removed, then it goes back to their programmed rate.

The tester magnet is SERIOUS. It's stronger than the ones in your amp. A lot stronger. Unless your bass distorts your TV picture when you carry it in front of your TV, your p'ups are nothing like strong enough to cause your dad a problem. And if they were, he could take it off his chest and it would stop.

And why is your dad rubbing your bass on his chest, anyway?

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Haha

No no, the poster's father never was. The poster was just overly worried about his dad being anywhere near it at all.

11. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

This sounds like one for snopes.

12. It does, you just have to shove the bass up against the screen to do so.:D

Rock on
    Eric

13. If the leakage from 1000 W of microwave RF energy from a microwave oven really doesn't affect pacemakers, the guitar and amp are fine.

The energy diminishes rapidly with distance, so keep dad in the next room if you want to be really safe. Or cover him with tinfoil while you practice as a precaution.

Randy

14. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

that reminds me, i used to have this huge speaker next to my TV, and it made everything in the corner it was next to have a purple tint

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    What? Like...even the dog? "Bowser! Get away from that speaker! You're turning purple again."