pickups and preamp for fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slapn'captain, Aug 8, 2002.

1. slapn'captain

Aug 8, 2002
    What do you guys recomend for a fretless im building? its got a maple and oak neck through and an oak body and the fingerboard wood is ulin which is an indonesian hard wood that is similar to ebony.

tell me some of your electronic setups and configurations that work well for you.

Thanks for the help
  2. DiMarzio and J-Retro.

Both the Model J and the UltraJazz are 4-wire types, so you can wire them series/parallel, same as the Fender RB5. This gives a very wide variety in tone. Both DiMarzio are bi-lateral (side by side) coils, and are hum cancelling in solo mode.

The Model J are a 6-5-4 (b-m-t) voicing, compared to the scooped 6-5-6 for the Ultra Jazz. The Ultra Jazz is a new design, and the Model J has been around a very long time. The Model J is a BP Magazine Top Tone winner, where the UltraJazz was not.
  3. what type of sound are you looking for?? dark and upright-like or bright and zingy?...I have a fretless jazz bass special w\p-j pups(emg's)and it kinda sounds like Les claypool's fretless sound...your woods used in your bass sounds like it will be a natrually bright and snappy sounding instrument..so if your not into ultra bright sounding bass, maybe the pups mentioned here already might be a good choise.Bartolini's are also a good choise...EMG's have a lot of zing that turn a lot of people off when it comes to fretless.they have more meow than mawh...but you have to decide what sound your after....good luck with your quest...
  4. Seymour Duncan - Steve Bailey Fundamental Fretless
    these are 2 jazz pick-ups

I had them placed in my Fender fretless Jazz Bass.
    Wich were much better than the originals.
    These pick give a better sustain and enveloppe.
  5. slapn'captain

Aug 8, 2002
    thanks guys i think ill go with some bartolini j's and the nbt
  6. So You're saying that the Model J is what you recommend for 'fretless'?

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    For fretless, the J Retro is a great preamp. It really helps dial-in THE tone for your instrument. The flexibility of it is just amazing and makes a huge difference with fretless.
  8. Good choice! I put the Bart J's in my SX fretless, and I'm possibly thinking of adding a preamp
  9. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I think you got that one wrong. I copied and pasted this from BP Mag's reviews...

The Model J and Ultra Jazz pickups are both humbuckers, but they gave "the prize" to the Ultra Jazz. Then, they went on to say...