Pickups and wood type?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Assumer, May 5, 2003.

1. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    I realize everyone has their fav. pickup but my question do certian pickups work better with certian type of woods. I am speaking in general terms. Typical rock, active or passive with active preamp.
  2. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I've learned that basswood and humbuckers don't mix well. Very muddy sounding.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    all passive for general rock is still the most common. I personally hate active pickups, but love active electronics. That is also becoming more prevalent. Alder is very common, but then again, more exotic woods are very popular, mainly in the case of warwick basses. So, it's really all preference. Try it out. Forget what it's made out of, or what's in it. Close your eyes and play, and if you like it, good for you. If not, try something else.
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    In general terms: to each his taste.

Actually, you're trying to put together two valid influences out of many. The most important tone influences are string, neck and player. Then electronics. Then pickup and body(weight and stiffness distribution).

If you add too many parts with "mellow" tone, you may (or may not) end up with a muddy tone from the total system. Or a nice mellow tone, if you're lucky.

ou are asking for a universal idea; there is none. Every instrument system (don't forget the speaker and the room) is unique.