Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickup's Buzzing, need expert advice.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Scok, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I have a 4 string Northwood (local luthier) bass. It has Dimarzio Ultra Jazz and Split-P pick-ups. Both are humbuckung. Currentley it's wired to an Demeter active 18V pre-amp.

The bass buzzes until I touch any metal part of it, then it's silent. I tried changing pre-amps, I've had 2 EMG pre-amps in it, so that's no the problem. I also have had the cavity copper shielded, and it's grounded to the bridge, also been re-wired.

The buzz is in the bass happens on any anp/DI in any room. I kind of tired of tracking with a metal braclet let attached to the bridge on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

2. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I thought of something else to add, could ti be that my pick-ups are too hot for the pre-amp? 250mV I believe. Don't know if this helps or not.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Those pickups have exposed polepieces right? In my apartment, the pickups I've had with exposed polepieces have buzzed, and all the rest haven't. Sounds like your control cavity is well-shielded, but the thing is if the polepieces are exposed I think that means the pickups aren't shielded. :(

I don't think it's because of the hot pickups.

4. DiMarzios, particularly the Ultrajazzes, do buzz. To an extent, it's part of the deal. You will have to put up with some slight buzz.

Have you had the pickup cavities shielded, or only the control cavity? This makes a great difference..again, you need to ground this shielding as well to the back of a pot.

One thing to be careful about is not to double shield. If the cavities are already shielded with conductive paint, then shielding again with copper will actually make the buzz worse, as it acts as a capacitor.

5. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I've never heard of shielding the pick-up cavity, until now (read a few past posts). I'll give it a shot. I'm not double shielding the cavity, but that's a good suggestion.

I'll post to tell you how the shielding goes. Oh ya, yes those pups have exposed poles.

PS man I looked at my first post, was I drinking when I wrote that, geeez.

Scott.

6. I had this prob with Ultrajazzes, and shielding the pup cavities did the trick. I'm interested to hear how this turns out.

I shielded my cavities with conductive paint. It's easier, and it does the job.

7. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Same here. My jazz bass used to buzz when my hands weren't on the strings. I shielded the pickup cavities and connected the shielding to the shielding in the control cavity and now there is no noise at all.

Forgot to mention my pickups are Ultra Jazz as well.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Ah, cool. I'll have to try this on my old beater. Where do you get conductive paint?

9. Try a hardware store.....it's not difficult to find. I had no probs here in Turkey.

10. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    Cool, thanks for the help, this weekend I plan to accomplish this, so I'll post how it went.

Scott.

11. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    :oops: Sorry Andy, My friend is setting up a home studio, so I had to build a Nuendo system for him and it's giving me some grief. But, I'll have it done very soon.

Scott.

12. timre

timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    Another related thing with Dimarzios:
    I have the DP149's in my Japanese Jazz and they are a little hot. They were REALLY hot when I wired them up the way they show in the manual. They wanted them in parallel I believe (it's been a while since I changed the wiring) but in any case, just put it in series instead of parallel or vice versa and you will hear a difference in the tone. I find it's not quite as hot but more even, not as boomy. I was overloading my amp before and this really helped.

13. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I finally got the time to shield my bass. I used the shielding tape cover the pickup cavities and the control cavity, then I connected them all to ground. It made a big difference. The real test will be the aweful power at the jam space.

Scott.

14. Good to hear! Remember, you won't get rid of all the buzz. Getting it manageable should be the aim.

15. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I have a similar buzzing problem with my Precision. It has a Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup in it, and it buzzes like CRAZY whenever I touch one of the pole pieces. Is this what P Bass pickups are supposed to do, or is my bass poorly shielded?

16. This is entirely normal. The solution is..not to touch the pole pieces.

17. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    My pick-up's P and J both buzz when I touch the pole pieces, it's normal.

So, now my pick up noise is totally acceptable. Even my p/j barts hum if you listen hard enough. Before it was out of control. I can't believe I went through so much trouble getting new pre-amps and such when the problem was so simple. Oh well, now I know, and hopefull so do a few others. So shield well my friends!

On the plus side I do like my new Demeter very much, less growly than the emg pre, but a richer fuller tone so I can live with that :D

Scott.