1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups dropped out of case/covers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DownhillWillie, Apr 6, 2009.

1. DownhillWillie

DownhillWillie

May 22, 2007
    Hi guys, I just picked up a bass from e-bay and when it arrived I noticed that the P style pickups had dropped out of the pickup case covers (Dimarrzio P style) anyway it obviously suffered an impact of some kind enough to jar the actual pickups out of their respective plastic covers. It looks like Dimarrzio originally puts a fine bead of either silicon or hard drying plastic glue on and around the bottom of the pickups and covers to hold them in place.
    Anyone know what brand or type of glue or silicon to buy to effect the repair? I'm thinkin any glue or silicon would do but if there is a pickup friendly product to use that'd be the way I'd wanna go....
    Thanks
    Downhill

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The glue actually holds the magnets in place. You can just push the pickups back into the cases. They aren't glued in. I used to switch the covers from cream to black on Model P's all the time.

Did the magnets come lose?

3. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    So, They fell out(or down) while the pickups were still mounted on the bass? If so, take them out and put some 3/4" thick(approx) foam weather stripping insulation under the pickups. This will keep them "up" and allow some adjustment. I use the kind w/ one sided sticky back peel off stuff on it.