1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups + Electronics for a Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SpecialAgentKit, Jan 23, 2017.

1. SpecialAgentKit

SpecialAgentKit

Apr 8, 2012
    Hey guys! I recently bought a Squier short-scale Jaguar Bass. It feels great to play, but it doesn't sound so great plugged in. I was looking to get new pickups anyway because they're noticably low-output, and thought I'd come here for reccomendations. I've been looking at Seymour Duncans (the SPB-3 and the Apollo Jazz in the bridge, because I'd like a humbucker) but I've also heard great things about DiMarzio. I'm not looking to polish a turd! I really like the bass and saved a lot buying it in the sales, so I don't mind spending a fair bit on decent pickups.

I'm also open to suggestions on changes I can make to the electronics as a whole. It has "subdued" tone being a short-scale, but it doesn't have the treble I expected from a Fender style bass, or the low-end (feels like the bass peaks in weird places) though this could be down having lower gauge strings than usual. I guess I could see what difference replacing the pots could make, especially since I'm looking at high-output and humbucking pickups. I'd like to replace the volume pots anyway; they go from 10 to 0 in about 10% of the turn, and having the Jazz pickup all the way up actively reduces the bass from the P-Bass pickup!

I use my bass mostly for playing pick style alt-rock (think Foo Fighters bass), but I play a lot of other styles too. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

2. I don't own presently a PJ bass but it seems that most of the people agree that EMG Geezer Buttler set is one of the best available set. The other advantage is that it comes complete with reeplacement pots (VVT) and jack, to be assembled without soldering. I have equipped my P bass clone with a GZR P pup and it sure gives plenty of trebles and basses.