1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups & Electronics Issues in a Used G&L L-2000?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ADWolpert, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ADWolpert

ADWolpert

Mar 12, 2008
    Hey Guys --

I just bought a used G&L L-2000 on e-Bay (for $850), and -- while I like the tone -- I'm trying to figure out if the electronics are doing weird things.

For starters, the instrument was modified with a single coil option (there's now a 3-way series/single/parallel toggle instead of just a 2-way series/parallel switch). I like the idea of this feature, and like the single coil tone, but here's one possible issue. With a one pickup or the other selected, the instrument is suitably quiet in parallel mode, and expectedly noisy in single coil mode. But what I don't get is that it's just as noisy in series mode as it in in single coil. Is that to be expected? Maybe I don't understand something basic about pickup circuitry, but I would've thought that series mode was still humbucking and would be quiet. Incidentally, when both pickups are on and single coil mode is selected, the two single coils cancel out the hum, just like on a Jazz bass. Anyway, that's problem number one (if it's a problem at all).

The second issue has to do with the active electronics. Namely, I get an unacceptably loud "Pop" when I switch from passive to active mode. This isn't normal, is it?

Finally, once I'm actually in active mode, the signal seems to be so hot that it's unusable. I know these basses are known for hot pickups and a very hot pre-amp. Am I right to assume that the bass is clipping the input stage of my recording chain -- a Demeter Tube Direct Box? Or does this sound like a problem within the pre-amp's own circuitry? Turning down the instrument's own volume seems to eliminate the clipping, but then it's a pretty anemic signal coming out of the bass.

I'm not sure I need active mode anyway, but would love some opinions about this issue -- and the parallel mode noise I mentioned, too.

It seems like a really nice instrument provided I can get the electronics performing the way they should.

Thanks in advance!

Alan