Pickups/Electronics upgrades for a Millennium BXP 5?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basstovsky, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Basstovsky

Basstovsky Stuck on those 4-strings

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have this old Peavey Millennium 5 string, lame import version with passive j-style pickups, that I defretted. My band chose to cover a dream theater song so I dug it out (I usually stick to 4-strings), and they all thought it was cool, my guitarist loved the fretless aspect. I find the sound to be really lacking and dull, so I'd like to upgrade it to get it where I want it.

Pickups are Fender jazz 5-string size, rather than standard 5-string pickup size so the pickup options are very limited, and most are rather expensive.
    I don't like signle coil jazz pickups in general which is why I didn't play it much in the first place. I love Dimarzio Model J pickups, and wish they came in 5-string so I could use those, I love massive dual humbuckers.

Any suggestions for pickups and/or preamps that could get this bass to sound more ballsy, like a bass equipped with model Js?

2. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bump, maybe just a good preamp that will give me a good beefy humbucker type sound? The only reasons I don't use active EQs is I don't like the hi-fi sterile sound a lot I have tried have, I like more organic warm feel to my sound.

3. Basstovsky

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Lookin for a 3-hole config (its a vvt right now) 3-band EQ that can get some muscle into these single coil pups, my bass needs balls!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021