1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups for 5-string with individually adjustable pole pieces?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by middlebit, Sep 13, 2010.

1. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    I'm having some problems with my Nordstrand J5 pickups. The pole pieces seem to be staggered to fit a 20" radius but my Warmoth Deluxe J is a 10". There is a noticable difference in volume on the outer strings compared to the middle ones, and it's getting to be a pain. Can anyone guide me towards pickups for a 5-string J-type bass that are still in production (or at least somehow obtainable if not), or else pickups that are staggered closer to a 10" string crescent? String spacing is about 16,5-17mm. I've looked and looked some more but seen nothing - except the Ken Smith soapbars but their recommended string spacing is just a tad too wide for my specs.

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm not sure if they'd have the sound you're going for if you like the Nordies, but Q-Tuners ( http://www.q-tuner.com/bs.shtml ) have adjustable polepieces and work with a wide variety of string spacings. I have no experience with them myself, but many people who like a a fairly flat, uncolored sound seem to be very happy with them here on TB.

Mike

3. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Thanks for that - I'll have a closer look at them.
    Anyone else?

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Contact Nordstrand. If you like the pickups, don't change them, just get some new ones made with pole pieces that are at proper height.

5. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    I had no idea they made custom variations like that. Actually, I was thinking of changing them to the true 70's style single coils anyway (I have the "hum cancelling" :rolleyes: ones), but I am having second thoughts because of the problems I've been having.
    Thanks!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021