Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickups for a baritone guitar?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassinflux, Sep 16, 2004.

1. bassinflux

bassinflux

Sep 14, 2004
    a year ago i built a 4 string with my dad, put a mm and a J neck in it... bartolini...

anyway, you guys got any advice on pickups for a baritone guitar? im thining of building one

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've never ran across anything in particular that distinguished a bass pup from a 6 string guitar pup in terms of general construction. Same goes with 4 string - 6 string bass. If anybody knows any different, I'd like to know. Just whether the strings can be made to lineup with the magnets well enough to work is the only issue I'm aware of. Same lipstick pups for 6 string guitars are used in bass. Ken Smith uses the same J's in 4 and 5 string basses. The frequency is apparently determined by the string makeup/tuning. But off the cuff, I'd go with Barts.

Out of curiosity went back and skimmed some material briefly after thinking along the lines of Bass pups typically having more output and how altering windings can vary tone. Bass pups are typically designed to sense a more narrow portion of the string to yield cleaner tone and more punch. But in general looks to be nothing to prevent guitar and bass pups from being used interchangeably except the ability to sense the strings.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I think luknfur is right about this, there being little to distinguish between bass and guitar pickups. That said, there are a heap of different ways to wind each type of pickup, and each will produce a different tone, and each will sound different in individual instruments.

Check out the guitar pickups that will fit; ie they have the correct string spacings or bar magnet widths to suit what you need. Then look at the reviews on some of the forums for players that use them <i>clean</i> (not distorted/overdriven), to get some idea of the tone each will offer. OTTOMH, a couple I know will work and sound good are the SD Cool Rails and DiMarzio Fast Track 1. Ernie Ball make a 'bass' called the Silhouette that uses some Dimarzio pickups that are apparently made to their specs. Email Dimarzio and ask what they would suggest you use from their lineup as they obviously have some understanding and experience. Actually, I'd probably email all the pickup manufacturers and ask the same question. If you do, let us know the responses, as I'd be interested. I have an unfinished body and a neck blank that I've wanted to make a Fender Bass VI/ EB Silhouette/ Schecter Hellcat 6 type instrument from, when I get some time and money. Knowing what sort of pickups might work well in it (so I can look for them cheap secondhand) would be a big advantage, and might make the project actually happen someday.

One last thought, if you have deep pockets; Alembic Activators. Not cheap, but would sound good and they have some experience building baritones so would be able to suggest something from their lineup.