1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups for a MIM fretless jazz and audere pre-amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cryptobuddhist, Feb 22, 2008.

1. cryptobuddhist

cryptobuddhist

Dec 5, 2007
    Hey all, I tried searching around and couldnt find any threads that could answer my question(s). Anyways, I have a MIM Fretless jazz with a newly installed audere pre(for those of you who somehow got here without reading the title hahaha).

Im really happy with the audere, I've got my perfect 'jaco' tone dialed in (low/mid z-mode with the bass rolled back a touch and the treble rolled up a bit with just the bridge PUP on, sounds PUNCHY has me really wanting to learn more of portrait of tracy haha) aswell as my perfect floor shaking booty movin' groove tone(low z mode with both PUPS and the eq on just about ANYTHING lol, still tweaking it a bit though).

However I still got the stock pickups in them, I've checked out the dimarzio ultra jazz and model j but cant really decide on what would be best for a fretless, the site SAYS the model j's will deliver:

"Double-stop glissandos and delicate violin-style vibrato speak with a classic, woody voice simply by backing off slightly on the tone control."

But I'd really like to get an opinion of TBer's because I have been practicing my vibrato but I get the feeling my technique is good but that my pickups just aren't capturing everything Im playing.

So does anyone have experience with the DP123 vs DP149 or a good idea as too what would help out my setup?

Im also buying a badass bridge soon if that changes anything, so thanks for reading the long winded description haha...

!@~

2. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I haven't used Model Js, so I can't really compare them. I have Ultra Jazz pickups in my Geddy Lee JB with an Audere, and I think it sounds great. However, the Ultra Jazz pickups are said to be a bit hotter than the Model J's, and have a more scooped (more treble and bass, less midrange) tone than the Model J's. I don't think you could go far wrong with either.

The J-bass pickups I just bought for a Warmoth fretless jazz bass project I'm building are Nordstrand NJ4SE's, which are specifically advertised as ideal for fretless basses. They're spendy, though--I spent $209 for them on Ebay.

3. stype

stype

Oct 7, 2005
    Connecticut
    I don't really have an answer regarding the pickups you mention, but I too own a fretless MiM J. I didn't realize how bad the stock pickups were until I replaced them. I used barts, but honestly I think if you pick any high quality pickup, including the ones you mentioned, you'll be happy.

4. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    Nordstrand NJ4's have great tone to them- really nail that vintage sound- you might wanna try the noiseless versions of those. check it out at nordstrandpickups.com

as far as the badass II goes- i put one on my fretted mim j bass and it got me a great slap tone and extended sustain. it is heavier though and others have claimed that it doesn't sound as 'woody' as the standard fender bridge- of course its all subjective, I like my tone just fine with it.

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have Dimarzio model J's in my mim Fender fretless jazz and like them a lot.

6. cryptobuddhist

cryptobuddhist

Dec 5, 2007
    Hm interesting, I was playing acoustically and really loved the almost upright sound I was getting. I still think the trade-off of more sustain is worth it though, I can always switch it back.

As far as the Nordstrand's go, they're a little out of my price range but its just a matter of saving up. Im just a little antsy to replace my pickups, because if I roll on only 1 pup I get that horrible buzz and I dont want to rewire until I get something new, lazy! :)

I've been reading through the sticky on the top of the forum and that's helped alot too, thanks for all the replies, Im still undecided haha.

!@~

7. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    For a fretless - of those two go for the Model J. I have them in a couple fretless and sound great. Punchy and growly. You don't want any scooping of the mids for the fretless imho.
    David

8. cryptobuddhist

cryptobuddhist

Dec 5, 2007
    Cool, that sounds what I want, I bet I get a good thumpin' tone with low z-mode. I just won a set of the model j's on ebay so within a few days, I'll have to bump this with the results :D.

Guess Ill have to buy another one of the crimps that the audere came with(i used both when I installed it, clumsy :\).

!@~

9. cryptobuddhist

cryptobuddhist

Dec 5, 2007
    So installed the model j's and after alot of work, I got them in and they sound GREAT. Im really happy with the clarity and the audere is a whole new toy to play with now. It seems a lot more responsive.

Unfortunately...the pickguard doesn't fit back on...so I kinda got a jaco thing going except the wires are all exposed haha...

Im also getting some buzzing still, but I dont have the ability to solder atm and I just taped it up, Ill fix it one of these days. But the popping when I touch the bridge pickup and its the only one on is gone.

!@~

10. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Me too.

Nice and thick, burpy middle. The bass sits perfectly in the mix. I've been debating getting another set to replace the Sadowsky HCs in my fretted.