1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups for a P-bass knockoff

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by originaldumbass, Apr 15, 2002.

1. I have a crappy P-bass knockoff (Silvertone by Samick) that has pickups that pick up very little. Does anyone know of a P-style pickup that's really good and lower in price than say $150?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Most any replacement P will come in under that cap! I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders... For $150 you could buy an assortment of different pickups and have a big ol' swapfest!

-robert

3. I'd stick a set of Dimarzio DP122's in that bass. great bang-for-the-buck: $59.99 at Muscian's Friend.

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    rock block guitars in nashville has a bill lawerence p bass pick up on clearance for 20 bucks!

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    my personal fav... seymour duncan, Hot for P-bass.. i had those put in my first bass (squier P) and i loved em.

6. I got a set of '62 Fender P-Bass pickups for my Squier P-Bass. I love them!!!

It gives it such a nice classic tone!:D :D :D

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Bartolini 8S - list out at $125, but you can probably get one for around $85 through GC.

8. I was adding the DiMarzio pickup data to my spread sheet and noticed it is real heavy in the Bass and Mids, and lighter in the Treble (7-7-5). The verbage says a very heavy sound and very agressive. Anybody played these, and can they compare them to stock MIM P pickups?

I also noticed the DiMarzio Will Power Middle looks like its even more of a crusher. 8-8-5.

9. nerdcore

nerdcore

May 12, 2002
    I just picked up a Seymour Duncan (Basslines) Quarter Pounder at Guitar Center for $60 today. This was the best thing I could've done for my Squier, which plays just fine. It's like having a new bass.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've got a set of original '65 P-bass pickups. They might be for sale, but more like $200, I think.

[​IMG]

11. How about a set of EMG Selects? $23.90 from StewMac.

12. Bartolinis! ( 8S are great )

13. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell