Pickups for a P-bass knockoff

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by originaldumbass, Apr 15, 2002.

1. I have a crappy P-bass knockoff (Silvertone by Samick) that has pickups that pick up very little. Does anyone know of a P-style pickup that's really good and lower in price than say $150?
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Most any replacement P will come in under that cap! I've heard good things about the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders... For $150 you could buy an assortment of different pickups and have a big ol' swapfest!

3. I'd stick a set of Dimarzio DP122's in that bass. great bang-for-the-buck: $59.99 at Muscian's Friend.
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    rock block guitars in nashville has a bill lawerence p bass pick up on clearance for 20 bucks!
  5. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    my personal fav... seymour duncan, Hot for P-bass.. i had those put in my first bass (squier P) and i loved em.
  6. I got a set of '62 Fender P-Bass pickups for my Squier P-Bass. I love them!!!

It gives it such a nice classic tone!:D :D :D
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Bartolini 8S - list out at $125, but you can probably get one for around $85 through GC.
  8. I was adding the DiMarzio pickup data to my spread sheet and noticed it is real heavy in the Bass and Mids, and lighter in the Treble (7-7-5). The verbage says a very heavy sound and very agressive. Anybody played these, and can they compare them to stock MIM P pickups?

I also noticed the DiMarzio Will Power Middle looks like its even more of a crusher. 8-8-5.
  9. nerdcore

May 12, 2002
    I just picked up a Seymour Duncan (Basslines) Quarter Pounder at Guitar Center for $60 today. This was the best thing I could've done for my Squier, which plays just fine. It's like having a new bass.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've got a set of original '65 P-bass pickups. They might be for sale, but more like $200, I think.

11. How about a set of EMG Selects? $23.90 from StewMac.
  12. Bartolinis! ( 8S are great )