Pickups for a P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyZ, May 12, 2005.

1. JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    IM in the process of switching out some pickups on my P Bass and I was wondering what you think would provide me with the fattest tone possible..Im not super rich by the way, so please keep that in mind.
  2. This'll probably be moved to the Pickups forum..
    I just replaced the stock pickup in my MIJ '88 Precision with a Seymour Duncan Basslines 1/4 pounder (thanks, Hambone!) and it sounds awesome.
  3. small, heavy be

small, heavy be

Apr 25, 2005
    i did the same.
    it was a great decision.
  4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I've tried a few P pups and my favorite is the Antiquity II. Great tone.
  5. The SD antiquity II is a vintage style, which I prefer. But if you are needing to cut though, go for the SD "quarter pounder" p-pup.

(You are going to get in trouble for not posting in the PUP forum. People get really bummed out, but I am not sure why. It is like the freaks who, after hearing a bad word or seeing too much of a body part, check to see what channel it is on (cable or free)to ascertain whether or not they are offended.

There is this guy who hand makes pups out of his garage for a very reasonable price. I will write addendum when I recall his name.
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I found that the DiMarzio P pickups is great. Has TONS of growl and cuts thru like a fricken Ginsu knife!
  7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm actually looking to do the same thing with my p bass some time in the future. I don't really want anything super aggressive, just something that I would feel comfortable playing both rock and jazz on. Barts any good for that?
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I prefer a Dimarzio Model P, somewhere between vintage and modern, but if you want a lot of Bite, go Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounders.