1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups for a Piccolo bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I've been brain-storming a little about this, and haven't really come up with much. I've been toying with the idea of throwing in a guitar humbucker at the bridge, something that really screams, but I don't know if that's such a good idea when variables like the wider spacing are considered. I think maybe a jazz pickup at the neck could be a good idea, but once again I really don't know.

Any ideas about how well the guitar humbucker would work, or any other thoughts, would be very much appreciated.

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Try it with regular bass pups first. I have a dimarzio Model 1 bass pup in my EB0 and I love the sound it gets with gui**** strings.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My 5 string piccolo (31" scale) has a single lace sensor jazz pickup in the neck position. I didn't really like what the bridge pickup brought to the party, so I yanked it so I could set it up with a Roland GK-3B pickup for my VBass. With just the neck pickup, and a pick, I can get every piccolo sound I want from magnetic pickups. If I do decide I want it, I can always model it on the VBass. :D

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

it's my understanding there are some design variations between a bass and guitar pup like sensing a narrower portion of the string but there are varitions in that in bass pups as well. The pup won't know what's it's installed in and will respond to the tuning regardless. You can go through a myriad of bass pups trying to get what you want so I doubt trying a guitar pup would be much different.

I have yet to install a guitar pup in a bass myself but I've never had a piccolo bass either.