1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups for an alder jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by avi, Sep 10, 2019.

1. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    Hey, I know this is subjective but wondering what pickups people are using in their alder jazz basses. I've had EMG's in it for a year or so and I'm just not loving them. I've used EMGs before (in my Spector and my Thinderbird) and liked them a lot but not in this. Thinking of going passive with this bass. It is very resonate and loud when not plugged in. In fact it sounds pretty fantastic unplugged. Looking for something warm but not muddy. Not playing out anymore so I basically play whatever I want. Funky, rock, chordy things. Whatever. Thinking about Bart's, Aguilar 60's or HC, or maybe Fender cs 60's. I've had Barts and Duncan's in my old 78 jazz basses (had 2) and my Warwick Thumb had the Duncans with the dip switches that you can't find anymore. Just wondering what others are doing.
    BTW Its actually a Yamaha BB Nathan east series alder jazz style bass with rosewood neck.
    Thanks!

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Bill Lawrence/aka Wilde J45 pickups are what came to mind when I read this. ^

J-45

sikamikanico and Clark Dark like this.
  3. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    Not familiar with those. I will look into them. Thanks

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I'm using DiMarzio Ultra J's in my American Standard Jazz and have no desire to look at anything else.

fhm555, downunder and radmin like this.
  5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    I just put Apollos in a MIM Jazz. Perfect if you like classic sounds, but without any noise.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    My American Standard Jazz came stock with Custom Shop 60's. I love 'em, and won't change 'em. I really like the new V-Mod p'ups on the American Professional Jazz. I want my Fender to sound like a Fender.

The Chuck, Dabndug and avi like this.
  7. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    I agree. Struggling with that a bit when you hear some of the other ones though. The linear humbuckers sound really good and really close but I can't put my finger on what's differant. Over the long haul will the difference bother me? I like the idea of them being dead quiet. I am leaning towards a 60's style pickup though because of the alder. CS60's are on the list for sure as are the Ag 60's. The apollos I've only heard in the Duncan video and they never seem to change the pickup balance at all. Would love a set of the old Duncan actives with the switches.

8. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Fender CS-60s are good. Growly, airy sort of tone on my passive Jazz. Respond well to playing nuances (digging in etc). The EMG JVX in my other Jazz is clearer and even more growly due to greater top end range. It perhaps has a slightly less breathy feel. Possibly slightly compressed due to being active which is often referred to as “modern” sounding. I usually end up reaching for the Jazz with the EMGs.

9. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

DiMarzio Area Js are nice.

10. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Custom shop 60’s are nice but there is a huge range in J pickups to choose from. I have EMG J’s in two alder basses, I tend to roll the tone back 1/3 and they sound great. I love that they are noiseless.

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I installed a set up Lindy Fralin, over wound 8% to get more mids and more lows. They sound great.

bassdude51, joker820 and avi like this.
  12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    John Benson custom Jazz Bass pickups on mine and they’ll never be removed from it. The price is also interesting https://www.bensoncustom.com/ Please note that the bass they’re installed on is a Fender.

NigelD likes this.
  13. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

What bass exactly?

14. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I’ve been really happy with the Fender pure 74’s. In comparison to the CS 60’s,
    These have more top end and upper mid bite. The 60’s have a thicker lower midrange due to being overwound.
    They are both great choices.

avi likes this.
  15. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I have gone through a few and have settled on the S.D. STK-2J's they are a higher output stacked humbuckers and sound great! Also you can get real aggressive and they will follow along with you.
    Very underrated pickups.

avi likes this.
  16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
  17. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Another vote for the CS60s here. They came in my 2012 American Stnd. My brother in law liked them so much he put a pair into his bass.

avi and Linnin like this.
  18. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    I just saw one of these actually. They are from Lockport NY I think?

19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’ve got a J with Ultra J’s and another one with Model J’s. I use the Ultra j’s for country, Americana, etc, while the Model J’s roll out for R&R, electric blues, etc. either one works great i just prefer the extra boom from Model J’s when i want to be the god of thunder.

20. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I put a set of Aguilar 60’s in my American Deluxe V and love them. They have such a fat, warm midrange.

avi likes this.