Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups for Beatle Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, Nov 4, 2002.

1. I have a viola "beatle bass" as most recognize it as. I love it and I want to do a little upgrading on it. What should I consider for pickups? I don't really know anything about the different types of pickups.
    I play Blues/Jazz/Rock and have flatwound strings on my bass, if that is needed info for ya. Thanks.

2. What make is the bass? Hofner? Vox?
    The pickups in the "Beatle basses" range from company to company, so in order to answer your question, one would need to know.

3. Its a Hofner

4. http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/hofner/hofner_parts/hofner_pu.html

That's I could come up with. It has two types of replacements, both standards at different times, I'd imagine. Also, you can get one in gold if you want to upgrade the looks.
    The bass isn't as widely used as say, a Fender, so finding upgraded pickups will be challenging, if not impossible.
    Just becuase I don't know about them, doesn't mean they're not out there, though. Keep looking--if they do exist, I'm sure somone around here will be able to point you in the right direction.