Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups for Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beammeup, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi TB'ers

I'm thinking of replacing my PU's on my Fender Jazz Bass '62 RI (CIJ)

The replacements should def. be passive.

I mostly play Rock N' Roll, so they should have a good punch and distinct tone.

What would you suggest?

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    LOve those passive j's!
    Just one man's opinions but here goes:
    Jason Lollar single coils are great. I have them in a modified marcus miller (no pre) and the bass sounds very warm and musical. I also have them in a fretless parts jazz and again, very warm and musical.
    Some people love Lindy Fralins, I don't, but they are pretty high output, might be good for rock and roll...
    They are a bit too clicky for me...
    I replaced a set of Fralins in my fretless lakland with a set of bartolinis, one of the passive sets, 9j something or other, and I really like them. The bass sounds very punchy, and has a nice fretless "bark", but I have to turn my amp up quite a bit to hear myself now. Good luck, and I hope you are handy with a soldering iron, I'm not, so I end up paying for all my experiments...

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  4. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas

Seymour Duncan: Basslines.... great sounding and affordable.

5. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Try some Lindy Fralin's... You can have them custom wound and you can exchange them if they do not meet your expectations.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/choose.htm

Also, Sadowsky's may be a good choice, though Ive never played them.

6. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi BigBeefDog,

Thanks for the hint.

Look's resourcefull.

7. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Though I do like the Dimarzio Model J's (had 'em in there for a bunch of years) I went ahead and got a set of Aero's. An awesome rock and roll pickup. These aren't ever coming out.

8. Wow...personally I've always loved the pu's in the '62 Jazz. They sound almost 3 dimensional to me.
    Well...I'm gonna come back to this thread, when I get my '70's FSR back from repairs I'm definitely dropping in a new pair, but I was gonna go with the Fender Custom Shop '60's pu's. I was also considering a set of Aero's. :confused:

9. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    What are the price of these Aero's?

10. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I believe they were $120 each when I bought them. Contact Larry Pollack at Aero for the latest info - good guy to deal with. Talk to him if you have something particular in mind, he'll wind to suit. Mine were stock and they just kick.

http://www.aeroinstrument.com/pickups.html

I originally had a J-Retro in this bass. I read about several makers putting this combo together so I went for it. Larry told me he didn't recommend using a preamp with his pickups, felt it would always color the sound, even when set flat. The J-Retro is a nice unit and a lot of people are very happy with it. I installed the pickups and after using them together for a while decided to take the Retro out and run them passive. I've never looked back - sold the Retro. There are a lot of excellent J pickups out there - these certainly do it for me. I can't imagine better, only different.

11. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If memory serves, Aero pups are $150 a set.

12. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    It's easy enough to find out the current price - just shoot him an email. Here's Larry's response to my pricing single coil P bass pickups last year. I'm sure his J's are in line with this:

-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Aero, and for your comments on our J Bass 4 Type 1's. The SCPB Type 1 (we don't offer a Type 4) and 4A differ only in the magnet. The 4A has a larger sensing area and, therefore, a different articulation, and a slightly greater string decay rate. Type 5A has a
    slightly broader frequency response, and will work better with amplifiers that have poorly implemented input stages, or when you are driving pedals.

SCPB
    Type 1, $140.00 each
    Type 4A, $150.00 each
    Type 5A, $160.00 each

Delivery is currently 2 to 3 weeks. Payment is VISA/Mastercard. Shipping
    is FedEx Ground.

Please contact me if you have further questions or would like to place an
    order.

Best Regards,

Larry J Pollack

13. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Well I'm in the middle of the same process myself.
    I have Fender vintage pups on my jazz right now but have a new pair of pickups that I'll install this weekend.
    The new pickups are Seymour Duncan vintage SBJ-1
    The reason I got SD's is that my friend Carol Kaye recomended them. As a matter of fact she told me that these are the only suitable pups if you want the vintage Fender sound.

14. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Whoa...
    That sounds interesting.

Please let me know how it ends.
    - This might be the solution, for me as well.

What are the price range for those?

15. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,

I browsed the SD website and found these.
    SJB-3 n/b Quarter-Pound.

Do any of you, have expirence with those? :hyper:

16. they are great!
    huge bottom and really meaty!
    great for rock.

i've actually got an extra set lying around.
    one set in my fretted jazz and i just sold the
    other bass and kept the pups.
    send me a PM if you want them.

-c l i f t o n

17. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    hi i wonder if anyone has experience with sjb-2 (im choosing between those and the sjb-1) for a mia jazz?