Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickups for fingerstyle metal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by avenger86, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Basslines (suggest a model)

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. DiMarzio SuperJ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nordstrand

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Bartolini

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  5. Other(suggest)

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Which would you pick? I have an older Schecter Jazz Bass from when they were made in LA. My main style is metal, and I play fingerstyle. I need a pickup with lots of clarity, especially in the low end. It should also support a nice mid and low end.
    P.S. Passive bass. Also, I messed up the DiMarzio name, so just suggest a pu.

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Basslines Hot Stacks both wired for series/split/parallel switching

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I use EMG's. They give you good bass and lots of clear twang...But, then again I use distortion...What type of sound are you trying to achieve? There are many different styles in metal.

4. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    although your bass is routed for jazz pups, my fave (and many others agree) for metal is MM Stingray. Soooo

Basslines SMB-5A (or SMB-4A, if you lack the low B string)

5. That's good news for me- my custom fretless is going to hopefully have an EMG MMTW pup, which is modeled after the Stingray slightly. STOKED! Fingerstyle metal is very much my ideal sound, a mix of Steve Digiorgio and Steve Harris.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Original Fender P pickups are pretty good. Comparable to Dimarzio Model P.

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    That's an interesting comment... I can't say I've ever heard any bass with EMG's sound good with distortion.

Basslines sound great with distortion, and there's still plenty of articulation and punch. Although the tone may be a little dull and boring compared to DiMarzio.

Excellent point on defining the style of metal. Different bass sounds work better with different styles.