1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pickups for fingerstyle metal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by avenger86, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Basslines (suggest a model)

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. DiMarzio SuperJ

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nordstrand

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Bartolini

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  5. Other(suggest)

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Which would you pick? I have an older Schecter Jazz Bass from when they were made in LA. My main style is metal, and I play fingerstyle. I need a pickup with lots of clarity, especially in the low end. It should also support a nice mid and low end.
    P.S. Passive bass. Also, I messed up the DiMarzio name, so just suggest a pu.

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Basslines Hot Stacks both wired for series/split/parallel switching

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I use EMG's. They give you good bass and lots of clear twang...But, then again I use distortion...What type of sound are you trying to achieve? There are many different styles in metal.

4. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    although your bass is routed for jazz pups, my fave (and many others agree) for metal is MM Stingray. Soooo

Basslines SMB-5A (or SMB-4A, if you lack the low B string)

5. That's good news for me- my custom fretless is going to hopefully have an EMG MMTW pup, which is modeled after the Stingray slightly. STOKED! Fingerstyle metal is very much my ideal sound, a mix of Steve Digiorgio and Steve Harris.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Original Fender P pickups are pretty good. Comparable to Dimarzio Model P.

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    That's an interesting comment... I can't say I've ever heard any bass with EMG's sound good with distortion.

Basslines sound great with distortion, and there's still plenty of articulation and punch. Although the tone may be a little dull and boring compared to DiMarzio.

Excellent point on defining the style of metal. Different bass sounds work better with different styles.