Pickups for fretless P bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Apocalypse Dude, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Hey friends,

I bought something from my GAS list recently: a fretless P. The neck feels great (It's a Mightymite) and the body looks alright (it's metallic grey) but the electronics suck. I have a set of Seymour Duncan SPB-3 sitting around but I'm curious as to what everyone else here likes in their fretless P. So give me some suggestions please!

PS The strings I'm using are D'Addario Half Rounds

2. I would try Seymour Duncan SPB-1 set.

3. Good choice, I could probably fine them relatively easy. Why would you suggest them?

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Setting aside using "fretless" and "precision" in the same sentence, I'm sure it is a great bass. To retain clarity, and not have too much mids, I'd use something like a Fralin 5% underwound pickup to get better "mwah."

You can always try what you have. The SPB3 does have bigger magnets, and so it will have more pronounced articulation. But what concerns me is that it is wound to be "fat" sounding, so that may or may not lend itself to your tone concept of what you're trying to get out of this bass.

5. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I've got the 1/4 lbs and half rounds. I like the combo. BTW if it matters my neck is also of the Mighty variety.

6. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I ran the bass pictured (PJ) with both EMGs and Bartolinis.

Really dug the sound of the passive Bartolini P (low output but a warm and cozy sound).

7. Thanks for the replies everyone. I might try the Duncans first but I'll keep my eyes open for Dimarzios and Fralins. They might be hard to find around Nova Scotia but I'll look online.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021