Pickups for Metal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joiner, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    I have a question. I switched to another band and we now play some sort of Melodic Metal (like for ex. Iced Earth do, to), and I want to replace the Pickups in my 4-String. Some Soapbars would be good for me. What would you recommend. I heard that Seymour Duncans are good for Metal. Or should I rather use EMGs ? Or maybe Bartolinis ?

ThanX in Advance,

2. SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    First off I would like to congragulate you on being an Iced Earth fan, they kick ass and Jon Schaffer is a god.

Anyway, EMG soapbars are some hard rocking pick ups, my friends backup bass is a F-20? and it rocks hard and hold down metal good.
  3. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I think bartonlis would be too "smooth" and "round" for metal but that was just my 2 cents.
    EMG perhaps ?
  4. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    It depends on exactly what kind of tone you want. If you want a really aggressive, cutting tone with lots of lows EMG's are THE pickups. The Seymour Duncans would work good as well depending on the model the tend to have a mellower tone but can still get aggressive they're really good for straight ahead rock sounds. Could you be more specific on the tone your after?
  5. I would recomend the EMG-35DC (or 40 or 45 depending on the size hole you have, 3.5", 4" and 4.5" respectivly), it is in my opinion the best pickup out there.