Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups for Metal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joiner, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Joiner

Joiner

Oct 12, 2000
    I have a question. I switched to another band and we now play some sort of Melodic Metal (like for ex. Iced Earth do, to), and I want to replace the Pickups in my 4-String. Some Soapbars would be good for me. What would you recommend. I heard that Seymour Duncans are good for Metal. Or should I rather use EMGs ? Or maybe Bartolinis ?

ThanX in Advance,

David

2. SantasCabanaBoy

SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    First off I would like to congragulate you on being an Iced Earth fan, they kick ass and Jon Schaffer is a god.

Anyway, EMG soapbars are some hard rocking pick ups, my friends backup bass is a F-20? and it rocks hard and hold down metal good.

3. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I think bartonlis would be too "smooth" and "round" for metal but that was just my 2 cents.
    EMG perhaps ?

4. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    It depends on exactly what kind of tone you want. If you want a really aggressive, cutting tone with lots of lows EMG's are THE pickups. The Seymour Duncans would work good as well depending on the model the tend to have a mellower tone but can still get aggressive they're really good for straight ahead rock sounds. Could you be more specific on the tone your after?

5. I would recomend the EMG-35DC (or 40 or 45 depending on the size hole you have, 3.5", 4" and 4.5" respectivly), it is in my opinion the best pickup out there.