Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickups for mia deluxe jazz 4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Angelo, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    What do you guys think?
    I love the way my bass feels and plays but I want a more modern,crisp,snappy tone.
    But not too bright.
    Any suggestions?

2. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    cough...:)

3. I have several suggestions. First, check out the "j-bass pickup shootout." Run a search for it and you should find the link. This will help you find your personal pickup. Here are my personal recommendations and reviews:

1) Dimarzio ultra jazz - high output and snappy, with brightness but not a sh-t load. GREAT for slapping and any other kind of agressive playing. A little bright for my tastes, but a great pickup for the neck and for soloing.

2) dimarzio model j - I love these things. Fat as a couch potato's ass, punchy and warm. That just so happens to be EXACTLY what i personally want in a J. Agressive without being distorted, punchy without being bright. Quite possibly my favorite J-pickup, but I havent played lane poors or other expensive brands.

3) SD Basslines Hot for J - much similar to the dm model J, only a little "dirtier." I still love these though.

4) SD Quarter pound J - I personally do not like these all that much. VERY HIGH output for a j-pickup, and AGGRESSIVE as hell. A very modern, mid-scooped, biting and snappy tone with very little warmth in the mids IMO.

5) Bartolini 9W4J - Low output, but TREMENDOUS natural warmth and FANTASTIC tone. These things are gorgeous sounding, but they are extremely unagressive and not overly snappy. GREAT bridge pickups IMO, and cool sounding with a pick or fingers, cause they already have the warmth.

6) Bartolini 9W4K - higher output and more agressive sounding than the J's, and not as warm or natural sounding. However, these are great as a neck pickup.

Overall, if I had a J-Bass, i would get either a set of dimarzio model j's or a Bart J in bridge and K in neck. But, my best recommendation would be to examine the j-bass pickup shootout.

4. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Wow!Someones done their homework.
    Thanks.I'll have to check it out.