Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups for my Fender Squier P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Hi,

So right now I have Seymore Duncan (Bassline) Quarter-pounder replacement pickups on my bass. They get a lot nicer sound than the stock pickups, but I don't like the sound I'm getting when I slap. The pickups don't really get high-quality -- not very many high-frequencies, you know? The slapping just doesn't sound as crisp and bright as other basses do. In case you're wondering, yes, I have tried many different types of strings, and they still don't get the sound I'm looking for.

So.

I'm thinking of getting either Bartolini replacement pickups or D'marzio replacement pickups. What do you suggest? Are there any sound clips I could hear out there? An opinions on those pickups?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Whoops, looks like there's billions of other P-bass pickup threads. Sorry. Actually my question is different, because I'm mainly looking for a good slap tone because slapping is my specialty. I hear active pickups are a good way to go.

Also, to give you an idea of just what sound I'm looking for, I want:

- That really heavy slap sound. Even when you pop higher notes, I want a lot of presence.

- Very little noise/humming/buzz.

- The tone I want is kinda similar to the Marcus Miller sound. Yeah, that'll be tough to get on a P-bass. :)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Sounds like an EMG P might be what you're looking for. Has lots of presence in the highs.

3. I went to the music store, and the guy recommended Bartolini right away. He seemed to think they were the ultimate best.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Bartolinis have never been very brightfor me. Thay have always been warm. EMG's are the way to go for top end clarity, like dave said.

Ans actually, I have had both in my squier P, and the emgs are much beter for that bass. Bartolinis sound good for warm vintagey, reggae type tone.

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, Barts are very good pickups. But they usually have a muted high end. If you're looking for crisp and lots of high end, the pickup that comes to mind is the EMG.

6. Okay, cool. I'm going to probably pick some up monday or tuesday. These are what you're talking about?

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=23

They seem to be active pickups, which I find cool. I've heard that active pickups are better for slapping than passive, and I don't mind the batteries issue. There also seems to be no visible magnet coil thingies (don't know what they're called). I guess they're under the ceramic cover.

Okay, so these look cool, and from what you guys said, they sound right for me.

So these EMG-P pickups will work with my Fender Squier P-Bass?

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, they'll work with your Squier P. They come with prewired replacement tone/vol pots and jack. You should have enough space under your pickguard to fit the battery.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yep, they should work. I have a squier p, and didn't have to make ANY modifications to the bass itself.

9. I have the EMG P's on my Ibanez GSR 100. They're active and they sound amazing with DR strings. I have a friend that knows how to slap very well and he sounds amazing when he plays on my bass. So I'd suggest some EMG's. Even when I try to slap it sounds decent.

10. Cool! Thanks so much guys. I was expecting to get "deja vous" comments on this thread, but I couldn't find any other threads about pickups for a good slapping tone on the Squier bass.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to getting the pickups. I think I should be able to put them in myself. It doesn't look that complicated. Or is it? Any last-minute advice about putting them in?

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No problem, you're welcome. You came in and said exactly what you were looking for, which helps no end.
    There are many many "I want to upgrade my Squier/Exxex/Fender P pickup, what's the best one?" questions that don't give you any more information - that makes it tough to recommend something.

The EMG install is simple, like I said you should get the prewired vol/tonel pot config and jack. So you'll need to unsolder your existing pickup connections, take out the old pickup and pot harness (vol/tone/jack), attach the new pot harness, solder the pickup wires (there's diagrams included with the pickups) and add the battery.

12. It appears from pictures that the EMG-P pickups basically completely replace all the electronics of the pickups I have now.