1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups for my MIM P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Honk'n_down-low, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Looking for opinions on what to put in my MIM P-Bass. The stock pups don't sound bad - but I have heard there are better.

I picked this Bass up from Troyus here on TB - nice P-Bass - I had been missing having a P since selling my 1966 back in the late 80's.

I am inclined and leaning toward putting the Fender 62 P-Bass Pups in as I have heard good things here from fellow TB'ers and they are priced right.

I would interested in knowing what people here have chosen and why.

I am not looking for anything specific - I use the P-Bass for Old School Thumping - but don't want to limit the selection to one style. I play through a LMII and a GK800RB using a 4x10 and 15.

Here's a pic of the Bass and the Rig I use. Thanks!
    IMG_3456.

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I went through a bunch and have stuck with the SD SPB-1. Seems like we're after a similar sound from the P...I didn't try any Fender pickups so I can't compare to them.

3. Thanks, what type of P did you put the Duncan in?

4. I have the spb3 basslines... I found the mids gone! Gone! sounds really good in my room though.

5. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i dropped a Fralin in my Highway One P, & it's the schnitz :hyper: ( besides, that's what Lakland puts in their Duck Dunn,, & i figure if it's good enough for Duck Dunn,, it's good enough for me ) :bassist::bassist::bassist:

i play rock & blues ( with the P ), & i'm highly impressed with the tone of the Fralins / TI flats

6. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
  7. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    What does a set of the Fralins go for?

8. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005