Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups for my music style

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Damn_bassist, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Damn_bassist

Damn_bassist

Jul 14, 2005
    Hi there,

I'm new here and I wanna change my pickups .... I really want to see your opinions

I have a Giannini 4 strings Jazz Bass, I would love to buy a Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pound for P-Bass, but they dont fit in my bass ...
    I never heard how these pickups sounds like but I saw really good reviews in another forum.
    I play songs like Anti-Flag, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sum 41, NOFX, Offspring, The Starting Line, Foo Fighters, Millencollin, Rise Against and others ...
    Im your opinion whats the best pickup to play this kind of music ?

Tkx for your attention ...

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Not familiar with enough of that stuff. I understand Flea only uses LP's but don't know. Anyway, go hear some live music you like where the bassplayers play J's and see what they use. You should get a pattern before long and go with that. Other variables obviously affect tone but the signal starts with the pups. That's as good of an approach as I know. Maybe not as convenient as recieving it over the net at home but a lot more fun and probably more accurate.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you would ideally have a QP for P-bass, maybe just get the QP for Jazz pickups. I would think any hot J pickup with decent clarity would work for the styles of those bands (at least for the ones I know).

4. Damn_bassist

Damn_bassist

Jul 14, 2005
    Thanks guys for helping me but I have another question
    Have you ever heard how that pickups (quarter Pound for J-Bass) sounds like ?
    Cause I'm afraid that after I buy these pickups my bass still sounding like it does now ...

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I haven't had the QP's but there's a broad range of tones available from different SD pups. There are plenty of reviews on QP's (most other popular J pups), do a google search for seymour duncan quarter pound J pickup reviews.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've played J's with both Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio's, and I prefer Dimarzios. Its kind of hard to get a P'bass tone out of any J pickup though mind you.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

through my rigging I've gotten better P tone from J's than P's. I've yet find a good P tone from a P pup. In the Dimento J experiments you'll see quite a few very good vintage Fender P tones from J's - in my recall, a model J at the bridge only was one of them.

8. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I would Either suggest some DiMarzio Ceramics, Seymour Duncan SJB-3 QP single coils, or Fender American Vintage Custom Shop. They all sound alike, but all in all, i think the QP and the Fender are the best. The QPs are more expensive, and sound great, but the fender are a little more expensive and sound very Smooth, bright, warm... i mean, the sound range varies... The Fenders are most likely the best bet.. or, if you want One sound, then go for the QPs.

your choice.

---rocinante_x1

9. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    DiMarzio's. Look into the stickys on this forum, their is a big test of alot of pickups (Smash's test). I bought a pair of those Dimarzios he reviewed, very well built. Honestly alot of those bands have horrid tone, and or its hard to make out a bassline. Bartolini's might sound nice as well. Or if you want a "brighter" sound, the EMG's would work, and they are cost efficient (150 for a pair as i recall, and they come with a pre-amp).

10. Damn_bassist

Damn_bassist

Jul 14, 2005
    Okay, I'll buy a QP for Jazz Bass but in this site www.zzsounds.com and I saw that one single pickups cost 54 dollars !
    If I buy just one is there any problem ?