Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickups for old Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jchikhale, Mar 19, 2002.

1. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a 1978 Fender Jazz Bass, and the bridge pickup has finally worn out and needs either recoiling or replacement. Obviously replacement is the cheaper solution.

I am thinking EMG pickups but, vainly, do not want to lose the original look of the jazz bass soap bar pickup.

Any ideas?

and yes, i do recognize how silly this is.

2. Luther

Luther

Jan 19, 2001
    I have a 1978 Fender Jazz bass that I modified in 1982 with a Badass II bridge and Dimarzio Model J DP123 Pickups. The Dimarzios are humbucking and run hotter than your originals. I love the sound.

They make the Ultra Jazz DP149's that look like they have more treble response than the DP123's. I am thinking about trying them.

Here's a link to a Bassplayer Magazine Article on J-Bass replacement pickups:

http://archive.bassplayer.com/z1999/9903/pickups.shtml

Dimarzio's website http://www.dimarzio.com/

3. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i have resolved to retain that old school jazz bass sound that we all know and love- like the old school funk bass players, since thats the type of stuff i play, but i dont know whether to get fender "vintage" jazz pickups, or to try out the dimarzios.

what is the key difference between those two pickup types?

where can i try out a bass that has dimarzios as stock? know of any basses that say... a place like guitar center would carry? yes- i hate that place too.

4. Luther

Luther

Jan 19, 2001
    I don't know of any bass manufacturers that use the Dimarzios as stock. I would suggest Ebay for used. There are two sets up for bid right now. Both of these have the creme colored covers. The problem with ebayers is that you don't know what type of quality you are getting or whether the pickups operate at all. I don't that you would get the complete sound of your jazz bass with dimarzios installed by sampling another manufacturers bass with dimarzios. My advice would be to buy a set and try them. If you don't like them you could always sell them with a little loss. Don't forget, it takes some time to actually de-install the fender pickups and to install the Dimarzios. Also realize that the dimarzios are a humbucking design. In the bassplayer article they ranked as the highest humbucker design. In closing I'll say that I can get all the slap/funk I can stand out of my Jazz. I installed them in 1982 and have never once thought about going back to the fenders.

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hmmm... I may be on thin ice here, but i believe i heard somewhere that EMG's vintage J's have uncovered polepieces.

6. You can always go with Seymour Duncan Antiquity Pickups. They will have an aged look to them, plus sound vintage (if you still want the vintage sound).

7. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    thanks for the replies. i have ordered a set of emg-jv's. i'll post another reply when they come and i get them installed- to tell you guys how they play.