1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups for P bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hookha, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    I have P bass not an fender P but nice bass for her price :)

I want ot replace her pickups, the budget is 70$
    which pickup i can buy?
    i want a fat sound and puncy for slapping

DiMarzio or S.duncan ?

2. IMO, Scope ebay for some fender american pbass pickups, fender '62 reissue pbass pickups or check out www.guitarfetish.com I've tried their guitar pickups and they are amazing, especially for the price. I've never tried their bass pickups, but if they're half as good as the guitar pickups they are a great value. Any of those pbass pickups are going to sound good w/ slap style too.

3. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez
    I have SD quarter pounders, SD hot P, Nordstrand Np-4, Fender '62 P and for the price, i say go with the Fender originals like the previous poster linked too. guys have been playing funk, blues, regge and all kinds of stuff on these for years......you cannot go wrong. If by chance you want to spend mor.....go with the Nords. For some strange reason, I like the Q pounders i have in my Warmoth, but they lack the mids of a traditional P. good luck, John

edit to add: on second thought, if you want fat and slappy, the Q pounders might be right up your alley....thay are fat and trebley with almost no mids.......just what you might be looking for.

4. S.D. 1/4 pounders

5. Yep, I have put these in a couple basses w/ great results. Also had the SD quarter pounders which sound great, but like above has mentioned, lacks mids and although it sounds great, it doesnt have that essential pbass vibe. I've heard really good things about the rio grande pbass pickup too. But even if i could choose any pbass pickup on the planet, i'd choose the Fender original pbass pickups. True tone comes more from how you play/technique than any pickup.

6. +1, but that's even more real when you're playing a P-bass... It's part of its nature to reproduce anything you play, the best bass ever... and also the most simple...

7. +1

Right on, too bad it took me the better half of a decade and tons of dough in gear to realize that fact. But its something you cant just tell somebody outright, it must be experienced first hand.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021