1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pickups for Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70s

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hiperion80, Mar 29, 2013.

1. hiperion80

hiperion80

Dec 29, 2012
    I like to replace the pickups on Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70s and i found cheap offer on Jazz Bass original pickup set the model of the pickups

I will very much appreciate if someone with experience would tell me does it worth to replace them (i have satisfying sound with the duncan designed pickup that are on the bass already) and is the process of replacing the pickups difficult (do they fit or i have to drill or modify the wood?)

I mainly play fingerstyle funk, rock, ska...

Any comment or opinion will be much appreciated.
    Thx!

2. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I have a few of those basses and I really like the sound of the Duncan pickups in them. They are not hard to change but you will need to do some soldering. If you have not done any soldering, you should take some time to learn before you attempt to change the pickups. And make sure you understand where to solder the leads for the new pickups. When in doubt, have a skilled tech do the job for you.

3. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    They should fit any pickups that are made to fit into typical Jazz basses. They have 2 different sized pickups, which is the most common way Jazz basses are made.

Those pickups would fit without drilling or modifying the wood.
    I'm not sure how they sound, but they would fit.

4. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    Well, not sure what you are after if you are happy with the tone but the difference in price between most pickups is not a lot... and yet they vary a lot in tone...The fender original pups are compared here with CS60 & vintage noiseless..

They dont come out well in that comparison.. my $$ would be on the CS60

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Mine too!! The CS60's really stands out in that bunch. The bridge pickup especially (for me).

6. hiperion80

hiperion80

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks people for the replies, very useful information's...
    Soldering and replacement shouldn't be problem, i have friend experienced in electronic and audio.
    I haven't decided what to do yet but those cs60 left me good impression.

thanks again, any other comments or opinions will be much appreciated