1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups for Squire VM Fretless

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I want to put in some new pickups on this bad boy.The thing I want most is noiseless pickups but also something more louder and cutting. I play a little of everything (Not metal so much) I really like the fretless tone on the new Bauhaus album if thats any help. If anyone has any ideas or opinions? Thanks

2. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I put Dimarzio Model J's in mine - they are stacked humbuckers, so they look and sound just like single coils except that are hum canceling. They are also *really* hot - they make the clip light of my GK 700 RB-II turn on, and my sound guy's eyes pop out when I switch basses between songs.

3. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Just a minor correction - they are side by side rather than a stacked HB. Do really like these too,
    David

4. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    Hijacked and Derailed

5. I have some Fender Custom Shop 60s in a SX that I've been meaning to swap into my VM fretless.. I'll try to get on that this weekend and report back on how it sounds.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Back on track.

7. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I thought I'd bump this rather than make a new post.
    I just got some Model J's and I'm wondering if they'll fit in my squire or if I"m going to have to do some routing. I hear there reall y big and deep.

8. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Dimarzio model J's by the way

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am going to get one of these today. I'm sure I'll want new pups as I like to get rid of the "hum" as well.