1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pickups for Technical Death metal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by InfidelicBass, Dec 25, 2011.

1. InfidelicBass

InfidelicBass

Dec 2, 2011
    Greetings, i'v been considering purchasing new pickups for my Ibanez Gio Soundgear but i can't decide what ones will suit what i play. I'm in a Technical Death metal band and i'm looking for a less 'muddy' tone when i play at high speeds. I play with 2 fingers and playing with a pick is not an option.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Really, you should be looking into getting a better bass. A quality set of pickups plus installation could cost more than your bass is worth. Take your time and you can find a good deal on a used bass that's much better than the GSR.

That said, I'll go ahead and recommend EMG. Not because I like them - because no matter what you put them in, they sound like EMG. And the new ones come with solderless installation.

Once you get a better bass, you can take them out of this one and use them again, or just sell em.

3. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I just installed some EMGs in a Squier, Real easy with the new design.

4. Danni Moe

Danni Moe

Mar 2, 2011
    Easy: ones that get lost in the mix :p

StathisBass likes this.
  5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    A lot of technical death metal bass players use Spector basses made in the Czech Republic - you might want to look around and see what pickups those have and use them.

6. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    EMGs. Most Spectors use EMG35HZ I believe (Rebop- Bolt on Euros) or EMG40HZ (Rebop 5 string)

The US and neck through Euros use EMG P/J. The preamps are a big part of the tone though.

7. EMG's are great pickups for getting the highs and upper mids to shine. They're a very defining pickup, especially the 40J's like I had in my Valenti.

8. bassnj

bassnj

Sep 16, 2011
    Learn how to EQ.

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    You're obviously not familiar with the genre. :D

10. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    +1 for EMGs... clear, full range and they cut into the mix well....

11. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    why is playing with a pick not an option?

12. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    What is Technical Death metal?

13. +1 EMGs here as well. I have no experience with the HZ models, but the 35DCs are very clear and defined.

14. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

+1 to EMGs, but also +1 to checking how you're EQing your amp. If you don't want a lot of mud playing the sort of thing you're playing, then don't bump up the bass knob on your amp too much, or at all!

The low end will be plenty big when you're up at stage volume. Trying to help it out more with tons of bass boost EQ is just overkill if you're wanting fast technical passages to be intelligible to the listener.

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    What tuning are you in?

Tuning a 34" scale really low won't be solved by pickups.

16. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
  17. locisbrelm

locisbrelm

Nov 6, 2009
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass
    As stated before #1, get a new bass. Active pickups and EQ.

or

Cheat. New strings and a sansamp (pedal or rbi)
    \m/

18. tyghor

tyghor

Dec 20, 2011
    I'm currently using stock Bartolini MK-2 on my Ibanez BTB 676 with a sansamp bassDI pedal and it sounds great for Tech DM.

Be shure to EQ it right tough or you will be buried in the mix . I'm boosting the low mids to cut trough. Also, you may want to use a compressor to even out you sound, there are some technique that are less loud than some others, they may be cool to play, but they are wothless of they can't be heard!

Hope this helps!

19. Danni Moe

Danni Moe

Mar 2, 2011
    I love most kinds of metal. I can tolerate things like technical death metal. Rarely can you hear the bassist in a metal band. Especially in one that starts with technical or death.

Advice to the OP: If you want to be heard, get a bigger amp.

20. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    I'd go active EMGs... not HZ or Specials just the plain ol EMGs.