Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pickups for the Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thetes, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Thetes

Thetes

Oct 29, 2000
    This is coming off a thin threadd on the Basses forum wherein I was asking about how to get more of the resonance of the acoustic double-bass on my Fender Jazz Fretless (MIM). I wanted to ask about replacement pickups for this bass with my tonal desires in mind. (Amps, too? I'm using a cheap, nameless, locally made amp [Taiwan] now)

I'm a guitarist of twenty years and a bassist of three. I know the basics. I'd just like to get the benefit of the group's experience with this before I go out and drop cash on something that won't get me anywhere (like I have with guitar stuff for years).

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If you go to http://www.bassplayer.com and then click on gear, you will find an article on a lot of different jazz bass pups. Note that none of them will fit a MIM jazz without slight modifications.

Also, I like the Fender 9050 flatwounds for a woody, URB-ish sound. If you bought your bass new, it should have come with those. You might also try some tapewounds, like the La Bellas.

3. Thetes

Thetes

Oct 29, 2000
    If you don't mind my asking, how did you know that the MIM pups are "off-spec?" I didn't "pick-up" on that until you mentioned it.

4. A MIM Jazz has two identical pickups, so you don't get humcalleling when both pickups are at the same volume level.

Until the MIM came along a J-bass always had two different pickups, one of them had a reverse winding and reverse polarity. The RW/RP causes the pickups to be humcalleling when used at the same volume level.

BTW measure your pickup lenghts, on a regular set of pickups the bridge pickup is slightly longer. On a MIM they're equal in lenght. That's why a regular set of replacement pickups will not fit.

Why Fender chose to do so isn't clear.

Bert