Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pickups from hell

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrbungle, Oct 3, 2003.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    If you've ever wondered how a typical j -pickup will sound if it's placed in line with the strings (turned 90 degrees) ... well, I got bored while waiting for my new pickups to arrive and tried. The results were interesting, the magnetic pull is so strong that the high frequencies are dampened. Off course the magnetic field is also so wide that some of the frequencies cancel each other resulting in very boomy sound.

Sorry for the poor quality of the soundclip, the electronics were all taken off the bass so the signal is very noisy (not to mention the behringer di box ;) ). The soundclip consists of three samples of e string with the pickup in different places.

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Interesting. Also the magnetic field would exhibit pull on the strings resulting in a waver in the sound. Now put those pickups back in your bass and practice! :eek: :D

3. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Don't worry, I've got another bass intact :)

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

An Italia Modulo at Bass Alone with 4 vertical lipstick pups --

[​IMG]

5. I saw that bass a while ago and was going to point it out, but never really got around to doing so.

The lipsticks will have a different influence on the strings, compared to regular J's, because the case makes the magnetic field different. Isn't the output on lipsticks a bit weaker, so the magnetic field isn't as strong? Possibly the reason it works better in the case above, the store people say it sounds good apparantly...though thats their job.

Josh D

6. I think this bass looks like an old hagstom I owned when I was about 9 years old. I wonder what it sounds like?

[​IMG] Treena

7. Probably like a nine-year old's Hagstrom.

:D

The aperture width must surely kill the tone.